Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Thread: FL400S vs FL1A

FL400S vs FL1A

i know the FL1A will fit on the 2.5L
    and the 2.3 takes the FL1A vs the 2.5 taking the FL400S.

im putting a 2.5L in my 97, but im not sure what filter i should use.

over all, what filter is better?

im thinking the FL1A because its a bigger filter, but why did ford switch?

thanks.
    1997 SFA Ford Ranger XLT, 2.5L, Black ext/Royal blue Int, Reg cab, Long bed, M5OD, BW1354M, Jeep YJ D30 Front, 8.8 Rear, 4.10 gears, 33x10.50x15 BFGoodrich KM2's. Too much to list.

Your talking about oil filters right? I'd use the one that they list for the 2.5.
    Currently:
    '86 Cougar 5.0
    '88 Ranger 2.3 Hurst Shifted SOLD
    '93 Ranger 2.3 T5 trans soon to be 2.3T
    Quote Posted by basa820
    naked truck,,,,sexyyy
    Formerly BlackMetalGuy

yeah, im asking about oil filters, sorry i should have said that.

the bigger filter (the FL1A) seems like it would be better because it holds more fluid and it has a bigger filter element.
    they both have anti drain back valves, so idk why the smaller filter would be any better.
    1997 SFA Ford Ranger XLT, 2.5L, Black ext/Royal blue Int, Reg cab, Long bed, M5OD, BW1354M, Jeep YJ D30 Front, 8.8 Rear, 4.10 gears, 33x10.50x15 BFGoodrich KM2's. Too much to list.

The FL400s is the better of the two filters.

I didnt know they both had that valve. Should fine as long as the seals matchup and the threads are the same.
    Currently:
    '86 Cougar 5.0
    '88 Ranger 2.3 Hurst Shifted SOLD
    '93 Ranger 2.3 T5 trans soon to be 2.3T
    Quote Posted by basa820
    naked truck,,,,sexyyy
    Formerly BlackMetalGuy

Quote Posted by Wheatman
    The FL400s is the better of the two filters.
    really?

why would it be better?

i found this on another forum.

"According to Ford. The FL1A and the FL400 have the same gasket, threads drainback valve etc. The only diff is the 400 is 1/2 quart vs 1 quart due to smaller diameter than the 1A. SAme can be said for the FL300 wich is a short version of the 1A."

"A larger filter will allow the use of more oil which can dissipate heat and provide some higher level of protection."

"Here are some pros:
    1. Larger oil capacity leads to longer oil life.
    2. Larger filter capacity(what good is a micron rating if your filter fills up quickly and hangs out in bypass all the time).
    3. Better additive retention. Assuming 250 gallons(fuel burned) oil change interval, how much byproducts are produced. Wouldn't you want the extra oil to deal with those byproducts?
    4. Cooler oil temps(less varnish sludge). Anything to prevent oil oxidation is a good thing.
    5. Less chance of thermal runaway."
    Last edited by BlueMan; Feb 05 2008 at 11:43am. Reason: merged 3 posts

I'd second the vote to only use the FL-1a unless you have clearance issues. More oil capacity & filter media is always better.
    Need to change your timing belt on a Lima? (2.0/2.3/2.5) Look <HERE>.

MOMS RACING
    MUSTANG ON MUSTANG

------
    '12 Escape - daily driver, with the '97 F150 for the heavy haulin'
    '00 XLT X-cab 2wd 3.0 stepside - MM#5

'97 XLT reg cab 2wd 4.0 - (sold) MM#4
    '02 XL reg cab 2wd 3.0 - (sold) MM#3
    '98 XLT X-cab 4wd 4.0 - (sold) MM#2
    '09 Sport X-cab 2wd 4.0 - (sold)
    '94 XLT X-cab 2wd 3.0 -(sold) it's just a moneymaker!
    '04 XLT std cab 2wd 2.3 (sold) w/Edge & Thunderbolt styling mods: The buildup
    '96 XLT x-cab 4x4 4.0 (sold)
    '86 STX x-cab 4x4 2.9/2.3 twin stick (sold)
    '85 std cab 2wd 2.3 prerunner (R.I.P)

Quote Posted by BlueMan
    I'd second the vote to only use the FL-1a unless you have clearance issues. More oil capacity & filter media is always better.
    My '05 Ranger has "no clearence issues"....yet has a the FL400 from the factory.

Hmmm....I guess Ford paying an engineer $70+K a year is a waste of time/money.
    Who would have thought that they can get all their obstacles and answers sorted out for free by just browsing the 'Net,by aquiring peoples opinions with no facts or materials to back up their answers/suggestions.

Does anybody have a fact sheet displaying specs of the measured micron material used in the manufacture of this filter,to backup their suggestions?
    Pressure relief valves internally have an operating pressure. Are these operating pressures the same??? How about volume flow??? Again the same?
    Many differences I'm sure but,no hard facts to compare....

Bigger filter better filter...blah blah blah...how 'bout a V-6 engine putting out 600hp compared to a V-8 engine putting out 300hp. Is the V-8 engine better/faster/more powerful???...cuz it has 2 more pistons and is bigger???

Their's a lot to be said about todays designing and engineering.
    And with todays cost of running and manufacturing products ie; automobiles and the such,do you really think they don't have a clue as to what they're doing??
    When you start your own automobile manufacturing company and been around some 50+ years,then maybe I'll stop and listen.

Until then, experiment with your own vehicles and make the appropriate repairs when things go bad with your own money.

I can cause myself enough trouble on my own without someone offering me some unproven theory.

And to the person I quoted, "No" this is not directed personally at you in any way.
    Rich

Quote Posted by BMWRich58
    Bigger filter better filter...blah blah blah...how 'bout a V-6 engine putting out 600hp compared to a V-8 engine putting out 300hp. Is the V-8 engine better/faster/more powerful???...cuz it has 2 more pistons and is bigger???
    WTF are you talking about?? larger oil system capacity has nothing to do with what you're referencing. More oil in the system will remain cleaner longer, run slightly cooler, etc.

When you start your own automobile manufacturing company and been around some 50+ years,then maybe I'll stop and listen.

Until then, experiment with your own vehicles and make the appropriate repairs when things go bad with your own money.

I can cause myself enough trouble on my own without someone offering me some unproven theory.
    When did I ever say "You MUST use an FL-1a"? I choose to, for the reasons I have stated. You are free to do whatever you like. It's not "unprovenn" I've been running an FL-1a on my duratec for years.

And to the person I quoted, "No" this is not directed personally at you in any way.
    I do take it personally when you put my name in the quote - you could have left it out. No matter what, you're free to disagree - this is a discussion, not an edict.

MOMS RACING
    MUSTANG ON MUSTANG

------

OzzModz Classifieds
    Ford is moving away from the FL1A. the anti drainback valve in the 400 is a silicon rubber vs, std on the 1A. the 1A is technolgy from the 60s and todays engine are designed in some cases with more space constraints and require the better oil pressure the 400 or 910 in somecases, gives. the 1a was designed for use on v8s. they were used thru the 80s on cars and trucks, but as new technology has come about, they have engineered smaller and more efficient filters for the newer engines, hence 910s, 2021s, 2005s, etc. and where as a 300 is a short 1A, a 299 is a long 1A.....
    -down to 3 GTs......

More oil capacity & filter media is always better.

Wheatman and 9723XL..............
    Better in what ways???...can you prove to "me/us members here" with FACTS that what you state/claim/say is true?
    I'm sure that if you are an automotive or mechanical engineer you could better justify your answer why More oil capacity & filter media is always better.
    .....and runs cooler???
    Cooler can sometimes take away from efficency....power/work.
    As an example.....running with or without a thermostate.

Isn't said engine,... "Factory built/installed"... designed to incorporate a specific or designed sized lubricating and cooling system?
    Now, unless you go and change these parameters,so will the lubrication and cooling requirements of said engine.

Please enlighten us all.
    That statement is very vague.....with no facts.
    Kinda like "Tim Allen" MorePOWER=Better!!!
    I'm sure the automotive engineer who designed the engine/filter has designed in more than enough redundant features needed.

My reference to a V-6 vs. a V-8 was in reference as an "EXAMPLE" of how someone without any proof or knowledge can make judement about a subject.

If your gonna make a statement,at least have some backup information to reinforce your statement.

Oh and just because it "fits" doesn't guarantee it's right.

Maybe you have no "detectable damage" now on your motor,but what
    about in the future? Or are you harming the longevity of the engine?

Listen I'm not here to pick a fight,
    but many people come to different fourms (such as this) for ideas and an education on a particular subject or matter.
    Many people are apt to make quick judements which most of the time will be more harming than helpful.

I for one, as an example
    come from "Missouri"...the Show Me State!!!
    So SHOW ME why you feel so strongely about this "oil filter subject"....
    Rich

Wow I am so glad I have a 4.0, lol.
    By: BOSS 3.0
    "Because 49% of the earth's population is below average mentality?"
    2003 Ranger supercab XLT 2wd 4.0 auto - sold
    2004 F-150 supercab FX4 4wd 5.4 auto all black and silver leather interior...rockin' the fullsize

Wheatman and 9723XL..............
    Better in what ways???...:
    I Said the 400S is the better of the two filters because i KNOW it is.. Everytime i drain both filters in the Shop, the FL-1A is never over a quarter full of oil Vrs. The 400S which is Alaways full, no matter the Engine size. Reason being, its Check valve is desighned to hold more oil for Start up vrs the Bigger Fl-1A. Believe whoever, and/or whatever you choose Friend...

On the duratec, the filter sits upright, so the oil can't drain out like it can on the horizontal applications.

You can't wrap your brain around the concept that larger filter media area, and higher oil capacity are better? More filter media surface area means it's less likely to offer resistance, even when it gets dirty. Higher oil capacity means you'll be running with cleaner oil longer since it has a larger volume of oil to hold the contaminants - think of it as putting equal amounts of poison in a glass of water or a pitcher. Sure, they are both contaminated, but if you had to drink out of either, wouldn't the more diluted one be better? Why do you think race cars use large volume oil systems? NASCAR dry sump systems typically hold about 3 to 5 GALLONS of oil in their tank.

Also, unless you have an oil cooler installed, the larger diameter cylinder of the FL-1a will dissipate more heat (as it has more external surface area). Sure, it's not much, but every little bit helps. Less heat (while marginal) is better to slow the breakdown of protection of the oil.

MOMS RACING
    MUSTANG ON MUSTANG

------

Quote Posted by Wheatman
    I Said the 400S is the better of the two filters because i KNOW it is.. Everytime i drain both filters in the Shop, the FL-1A is never over a quarter full of oil Vrs. The 400S which is Alaways full, no matter the Engine size. Reason being, its Check valve is desighned to hold more oil for Start up vrs the Bigger Fl-1A. Believe whoever, and/or whatever you choose Friend...

Wheatman says..."I know it is"..... other than visually seeing a difference in oil quanity,how do you know its a better oil filter than the FL1A that Blueman claims is better cuz it's Bigger.
    I never doubted the 400s was inferior...in fact if you had READ my first post,I said that I had the 400s filter installed.....but why are those members using a FL1A?
    One person suggested a clearence problem,makes sense but because it was a bigger filter and held a *tince* more oil sounds almost like a childish answer. Were not talking quarts or gallons here.

Blueman, you still haven't proved that the FL1A is a superior filter.
    Wheatman explains why "in his eyes"..the 400s is superior,less backflow of oil due to different chech valve but you still haven't shown any proof.
    More oil and more filtering area is better..duh...but prove to me and others that the FL1A filter has a more "filtering surface" AREA.
    Take each apart and measure them. Even tho smaller,the 400s could still have the same if not more surface area for filtering. Then check the micron's and see if the 400 and FL1A use the same filtering material.
    Rich

Or you could disprove and measure yourself.
    By: BOSS 3.0
    "Because 49% of the earth's population is below average mentality?"
    2003 Ranger supercab XLT 2wd 4.0 auto - sold
    2004 F-150 supercab FX4 4wd 5.4 auto all black and silver leather interior...rockin' the fullsize

Quote Posted by yetti96
    Or you could disprove and measure yourself.
    Disprove myself??? I never said the FL1A was better.
    I have nothing to prove.

I just want to know WHY"some people claim" supposedly the FL1A is superior thats all,and give me some proof.
    Rich

I'm done arguing over this. Use whatever filter you want. I'm just giving my thoughts.

Wheat

Ps. Good luck....

+2

Rich, I personally don't give a rat's ass what you screw onto your engine, if you choose to use the 400a, be my guest. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just stating WHAT I BELIEVE, and what I prefer to use for the simple reasons I've stated! If you REALLY want proof, get a cut-off wheel and open both filters up, and you'll see the innards. I'm content with my choice without having to do so.

MOMS RACING
    MUSTANG ON MUSTANG

------

Quote Posted by BlueMan
    +2

Rich, I personally don't give a rat's ass what you screw onto your engine, if you choose to use the 400a, be my guest. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just stating WHAT I BELIEVE, and what I prefer to use for the simple reasons I've stated! If you REALLY want proof, get a cut-off wheel and open both filters up, and you'll see the innards. I'm content with my choice without having to do so.
    Rich

Where'd this yacko come from?

Argue the filter size all you want. But, tell me the oiling requirements for the Lima based 2.3, and how they differ from the 2.5. (Forget it, I'll tell you now they are identical)

Now tell me why Ford used both filters (different years mind you) for the same engine? In case you didn't know, the 2.3 and 2.5 are the same engine.

I'll agree (be it from the stand point of a 2.3T owner in a Ranger) that the larger filter has a benifit. Hell, my 94 Ranger used the larger filter (still does) for 210,000 miles. Care to argue that?

On paper the smaller one looks better cause it holds a bigger oil reserve, but theory and actuality are different.
    Quote Posted by Chris Morgan
    "At what point does your engine just say F**K YOU thats too much?"

1994 2.3 XLT Turbo
    3/5 drop
    '96 Expo 8.8, LS, Disk Brakes
    245/45/17, Chrome SALEEN's

My Ranger Rebuild

Quote Posted by D94R
    Where'd this yacko come from?

Argue the filter size all you want. But, tell me the oiling requirements for the Lima based 2.3, and how they differ from the 2.5. (Forget it, I'll tell you now they are identical)

Now tell me why Ford used both filters (different years mind you) for the same engine? In case you didn't know, the 2.3 and 2.5 are the same engine.

I'll agree (be it from the stand point of a 2.3T owner in a Ranger) that the larger filter has a benifit. Hell, my 94 Ranger used the larger filter (still does) for 210,000 miles. Care to argue that?

On paper the smaller one looks better cause it holds a bigger oil reserve, but theory and actuality are different.
    It's called a DISCUSSION.
    But because someone QUESTIONS another members statement now it's an ARGUEMENT!

You...D94R can post statements all day long but without *facts* it means nothing,especially to those of us members who have enough sense to know that without facts its all BULL$H!T. I've reread some of your and Blueman's replys and both of you do nothing but ridicule members and offer nothing constructive.
    People like you both hide behind their little screens all day and say anything they want but offer nothing of good value.

Whether right/wrong,truthful or lies.
    It's those unfortunate members who read this BS and become harmed by it.
    And the enjoyment of discussing one of their passions is quickly blown away by some lame statement or name calling.

Please answer me why, when a member is QUESTIONED about a statement they made,they quickly resort to foul language and name calling.
    example...saying WTF...and I don't give a Rats Ass....

To me and most others,it is very clear that,that person feels threatened and might get caught in their own lies/BS.

And then you wrote this....
    example..."Where'd this yacko come from?"
    Do you see me or anybody else judging you or calling you names?
    From what you wrote, I have a very sorry opinion about your level of intelligence and opinions, but I'm not going to post them here. I'm a little more mature than that. Most mature individuals left that kind of talk in the second grade.
    But I do have hope that someday you will growup and become a mature man of wisdom and pass that knowledge onto others.

Now, I have received several PM's from others on this board praising me for standing up to members like Blueman and people like you.
    What you two members offer to this wonderful site can at times be welcoming and informing but only if you can backup what you claim or say and do it without injury to others. Simple as that.

Neither of you appear to lack automotive knowledge,but just because you state something doesn't mean it is always true or the right thing.
    If you have to "Bully" others to believe what you say through intimidation/name calling, then your "not" as intelligent as you think you are and people will definately observe/recognize that. In otherwords..."You're a Phoney and a Liar"....

Because I tend to think for myself and ask questions,.. "I'm now the bad guy" because YOU feel threatened when questioned and can't backup your statements without some lame reply???

You,Blueman and other members can BS many of the members here because they are either too young to know better,they lack the education of auto's or are afraid to ask questions out of the fear that ignorant members like you might make fun of them publically.
    I don't shutter that easy from ignorant people. Especially B*llsh#tters....
    (look up IGNORANT in a dictionary for the TRUE definition)

I for one can think for myself....and get my own self in trouble without any help from others.

I hope peace and wonderful information can resume on this board and as far as I'm concerned this thread is over...
    but I'll still be here asking WHY.... Rich
    Rich

BMWRich, you are an A-hole who just likes to argue things that don't matter. Get a life and stop bothering us on RPS.

Thread closed due to your idiocy.

MOMS RACING
    MUSTANG ON MUSTANG

------