Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    S-10 Driver

Everyone with 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle Please Read!

I just got off the phone with the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I e-mailed them to find out if there was ever going to be a permanent fix for the 4.0L Timing Chain Rattle, or even an extended program for it like they did for the Explorers. This all came about because 10,000 miles ago I had the repair done per the TSB, which I split with the dealer $300/$300. Well of course 10,000 miles later it is back and just getting worse. I like my truck and plan on keeping it for a while, but I just want it fixed. I really don't care if I have to pay for it to be repaired, I just don't want it to come back again. Well, I explained to him all the people that I know on these boards that have had this problem, and for many it has been reoccuring. His suggestion to me was to have people call in, or write letters. Pretty much the more people that share their experiences the more likely they will design a permanent fix or offer an extended 72,000 mile program like they did for the Explorer. What I ask of all of you that have had this problem is to write to them, call them, let them know. Here is their contact infomation:

Ford Motor Company
    Customer Relationship Center
    P.O.Box 6248
    Dearborn, Michigan 48126
    1-800-392-3673(FORD)
    TDD for the hearing impaired:1-800-232-5952

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Ltd.
    Customer Relationship Center
    P.O.Box 2000
    Oakville, Ontario L6J 5E4
    1-800-565-3673(FORD)

You can also e-mail them through this link:

https://www.customersaskford.com/Kan...e=fordVehicles

I choose to e-mail them first and a representative called me two days later. It only takes a couple minutes and we might make a difference. If you do mail a letter be sure to include your VIN# and contact information.

I'm going to sticky this so everyone has a chance to read it.

And I encourage everyone that has this problem to call, e-mail or write Ford about it.
    New here? Please read the Forum Rules

2003 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 4.0 SOHC, Auto, 3.55's, Bright Red
    MAC intake, Billet Grill, Extang RT Tonneau, clear corners, auto down passenger side window, explorer console, bucket seat conversion, Powertrax No-Slip, Perma-Cool 2950 cfm efan, James Duff Traction Bars, Dual Program Apten Chip, JBA Headers, Roush dual exhaust

2001 Mazda B4000 SE 4x4, Performance Red
    4.0 SOHC, 4.10's, 5 speed auto

The new Generation-Edge

S-10 Driver
    Thanks Mike, everyone take a couple minutes out of your time and let's see if we can kick Ford in the ass.

I'm having my 01 fixed next week and I mentioned this to the service manager and he said the 72k mile deal applies to the Rangers since it's the same engine problem as the Explorers. I'll try to see if there's some concrete proof to that next time I talk to him.
    01 Ranger XLT ext. cab 4x4 4.0/auto
    265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT/16x8 MT Classic II | Bama tuner | Gibson Sweptside | Explorer Sport buckets w/full length console | ST cluster | Tinted tails/3rd brakelight | Upgraded stereo (almost finished)

Dallas: 13-3

*edit* whoops... wrong thread

S-10 Driver
    I have 99k miles on my 01 4.0 with the rattle. My 01 started the rattle the day I drove the truck off the lot. My truck still run great and I'm not spending money to fix the rattle.I check the oil for fragemenst of metel when I change my oil and get no more than normal break down. I drive my truck like I stole it every day.Burns alot of gas but who cares.I trust my FORD.

Meathead Extroardinair
    EtniesRIT,

Call the service Department at WestHerr Ford on Camp road. They treat people good, even if you didn;t purchase your vehical through them, they enforce fords warrenty.

D.

S-10 Driver

Exclamation

Im not sure it will work for everyone or anyone at all, but I started using valvoline full synthetic 5w30 in my 4.0 and a wix filter and I swear by that change the rattle is not nearly as bad. Matter of fact the only time I hear it now is on cold start up, but I do have a lot of other funky noises too.
    300 HP Explorer Express-RHP Advertising Machine Check me out also on trixtersracing.com

sorry for sounding stupid, its kinda a trate for me....but what does the rattle sound like? is it real loud? i have 57k on my 01 and i dont think i have a rattle. what should i look for, metal in the oil??? thanks....
    2001 white ext cab edge SOHC auto
    60' 2.182, 330 6.123, 1/8 9.370@75.55, 1000 12.195, 1/4 14.626@92.41
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v170/confused/

2007 black 5sp mustang gt, needs to be track tested

I think I hear a rattle but not sure. I run Mobil 1 5w30 in mine and it seems ok. Can I just call my local Ford dealer and ask them about the Timing Chain rattle. Mine is a 2001 Explorer Sport and I haven't heard anything about this.
    2001 Ford Explorer Sport
    [Flowmaster][MAC][Energy Suspension][Hankook][Steeda][QA1][Addco][Lamin-x]
    Soon to come Eaton M112
    www.PanhandleGearheads.com

Slush, if you can't hear it they won't fix it. You really have to fight with them to get them to do anything about it. On my 01 it was loud enough that even passengers could hear it, but amazingly the service tech couldn't when he test drove it. I could hear it when he left the lot, and I was standing 50' away.

You can ask, maybe you've got a better dealer that's ran into them before. Mine acted like they'd never heard of the problem until I showed them the TSB, then they seemed to recall hearing about it.

MAC intake, Billet Grill, Extang RT Tonneau, clear corners, auto down passenger side window, explorer console, bucket seat conversion, Powertrax No-Slip, Perma-Cool 2950 cfm efan, James Duff Traction Bars, Dual Program Apten Chip, JBA Headers, Roush dual exhaust

The new Generation-Edge

I happened to talk to the service manager at the dealer I bought my truck from and he said the best way to tell is to have your dealer run the OASIS on your VIN to see if yours is effected. He said it may depend on a certain date range, certain plants, etc. An example he gave me was the bad head gaskets on the 3.8. Not all vehicles with it were covered, just like how it's mostly the Ex that's covered with an extended warranty with chain rattle.
    01 Ranger XLT ext. cab 4x4 4.0/auto
    265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT/16x8 MT Classic II | Bama tuner | Gibson Sweptside | Explorer Sport buckets w/full length console | ST cluster | Tinted tails/3rd brakelight | Upgraded stereo (almost finished)

Dallas: 13-3

just like fzr confused said, what exactly does it sound like... I do have this "shchk..shchk..shchk..shck.... sound. Its not that loud. I thought it was the belt tensioner making that noise. Still do actually. I just want to make sure that doesnt describe the timing chain rattle.
    thanks
    1992 Chevy S104X4

2002 4.0 w/ 700r4 tranny, manual valve-body, and 3800 stall converter

Built Ford Tough with Chevy stuff.

Bama Chips!!!!
    Underdog Performance

For Sale:
    Factory Aluminum Driveshaft
    Ranger factory floor center console
    For sale thread, lots of good stuff:
    http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=250315

I had it in my 01, so I'll try my best to describe it.

It starts at around 2500 rpm and ends around 3000 rpm. When it starts it's immediate. The sound is like a light spark knock or pinging, and it does it more when it's just above dead cold and quits when it gets fully warm.

Mine wouldn't do it for the first couple miles when the engine was cold, and it took a good 10-15 minutes of running before the engine was hot enough for it to stop doing it. And if the engine was allowed to cool for 15-20 minutes and then restarted, it usually did it worse.

So if you're familiar with what spark knock sounds like, and yours does it under those conditions, it's probably the timing chain rattling.

The new Generation-Edge

Woohoo!!!! Me no havey noise!
    1992 Chevy S104X4

2002 4.0 w/ 700r4 tranny, manual valve-body, and 3800 stall converter

Built Ford Tough with Chevy stuff.

Bama Chips!!!!
    Underdog Performance

For Sale:
    Factory Aluminum Driveshaft
    Ranger factory floor center console
    For sale thread, lots of good stuff:
    http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=250315

I first had my tensioners replaced at 23k miles due to "The Rattle" which in my truck was showing up at around 3200 RPM, and now at 49k and since about 48k the noise is back worse than ever but only at cold start-up ... it's embarassing to start my engine with people around.

The noise goes away within seconds, but it's still something that the techs at my dealership say there's no real fix for.

"The replacement parts dont fix the problem"

"They'll go bad again"

That's what I heard from a few guys within last 1-2 weeks since I wrote up my truck for the repair (still waiting for the repair to be performed due to the dealership's poor "employee cars come last" policy)

- Gabe -

2001 black XLT SuperCab 4x4, 5-speed manual, 4.0L SOHC V6 , winter tires: LT265/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler M/T on stock 16" rims, summer tires: 275/60VR18 Nitto NT-404 Extreme on 18x8.5 Enkei RT6 rims, FX4 front skid plate (thanks DesertSpive), transfer case and fuel tank skid plates, Bilsteins, Gibson Swept-Side stainless steel exhaust, cranked t-bars ~1.25", Throttle cable "mod", Ventshades, Ultra Bright 9007 bulbs, Ultra Bright 9005 fog lights bulbs, acetoned emblems, clear corners, Apten 87/93 octane computer chip, Ranger EDGE-model painted fender flares and front bumper lower valance, billett window/door lock/HVAC switches, billett tilt lever, billett shifter knob, Billet Specialties Bullet-style antenna and a very heavy right foot

START SEEING MOTORCYCLES! dub976's Avatar
    Quote Posted by Zoom
    I had it in my 01, so I'll try my best to describe it.

It starts at around 2500 rpm and ends around 3000 rpm. When it starts it's immediate. The sound is like a light spark knock or pinging, and it does it more when it's just above dead cold and quits when it gets fully warm.

Mine wouldn't do it for the first couple miles when the engine was cold, and it took a good 10-15 minutes of running before the engine was hot enough for it to stop doing it. And if the engine was allowed to cool for 15-20 minutes and then restarted, it usually did it worse.

So if you're familiar with what spark knock sounds like, and yours does it under those conditions, it's probably the timing chain rattling.
    noob here saying hi, it's good to finally find a informed ranger site.
    I have my truck at the dealership for a rattle that comes into effect at those rpms. the dealership said that it is caused by a bad driveshaft. bad driveshaft??? well now when I get it back 2nite and it's still there I know where to have them look next.

thanks guys

just got the truck back and had to have the tensioner replaced. time to email ford about this.

has anyone gotten a response about it yet?

Keep those numbers and emails handy!!!

Never know when we may need them again!!!
    1993 4.0 X-Cab 4x4
    I am lucky she runs.....

S-10 Driver
    had mine fixed/replaced back in april @32k now at 40k and with no warrentty the "rattle" is back!
    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

Balls Out-
    I spoke to Ford today, my truck wen't in, the tensioner on the camshaft has broken all the way off. They said "No recall on your truck" so basically im SOL. It's like 1700 to get fixed. They have to pull the whole motor to chane the rear chain tensioner. Boy am i angry right now.

S-10 Driver
    I have the same problem on my 01 Explorer and had the local dealership look at it after talking to the Ford customer service. Well it turns out that mine is making the exact same noise's at the same RPM's in the same conditions. They had three technicians look at it and all swore that wasn't my problem, but had no clue what it was without tearing down the motor, at my expense of course. The service advisor recommended a fuel injection cleaning to help decarbonize the pistons. What kind of help is that all going to do to fix a timing chain?
    94 2WD Ranger-2.3L 5spd with 2'' Daystar front coil lift, 2" PA Body lift, 15X8 Eagle 089 rims on 33X12.50X15 All terrains
    92 Mustang GT-Mildly modified drag car with too many mods too list
    2001 Explorer XLT- Too be lifted soon

No more ranger
    I had the noise on my 02 ranger. I have since traded it in, but I can relay my experience.

All the guys who are saying it's hard to get Ford to do anything about the problem is/was true.

I had to take it in three times. I had a dual exhaust kit on my truck and the first two times I took it in they said that the exahaust was causing the problem, which was clearly not true because the noise came from the front and there was no mistaking it.

I finally got fed up, because I was tired of them saying there wasn't a problem with the truck except for the aftermarket exhaust.

I went in the third time and got the service manager. I walked him out to my truck, I got in and rev'd it to 3k rpm which is where the noise was most noticeable and had him stand in front of the truck with the hood open. He said yep I hear it. Then we went inside, he made some phone calls and checked on his computer and ordered the parts.

When I took it for the repair they had to keep it for 1 week and 3 days, but they gave me a free rental car.

My advice is to have it looked at once, if they deny there is a problem go directly to the service manager. I also found that the people at the customer relation center phone number were pretty much useless and didn't care I had a problem, but they thanked me for purchasing one of their vehicles. I would call them to let them know there is a problem but don't count on them being very helpful.

On my 02 the timing chain tensioner fix kit they ordered did take care of the problem, but other problems arose afterwards not related to the timing chain so I got rid of it.
    2002 4x4 XLT
    4.0SOHC, 5spd.

S-10 Driver
    Yeah im having the same prob i only have 17k miles on it so im stilled covered in my warrenty that i have this was my first time checking the forum in a while and this just started happening about 3 weeks ago this is great info i have sent an e-mail to ford as well just after reading this and im taking my truck into ford tomorrow for it to be fixed... Thanks alot guys!

S-10 Driver

do it yourselfer

has anyone here taken a shot at fixing this themselves? im thinking about taking a crack at it as soon as the snow around here melts, i heard the way to go about it is to change out the tensioner to one made in 03+ cause its a little more badass. also should i expect for it to look and feel as if nothings wrong becasue it only rattles under load or is it gonna be noticable? thanks

Not An S-10 Driver luv my truck's Avatar
    my truck is has been making a kind of ratling sound for a lil while, i think its been getting progresivly louder, its at idle and light exceleration. i just found were it was coming from the other day, its coming from the little pulley that sticks off the engine downward on the passenger side, and i can see it wobles i tiny bit too. it sounds like its coming from the bearings, like theyre dry or something.
    i sprayed some wd40 on it but that did nothing.
    should i get this checked out, or anyone know exactly whats goin on?

I have a 04 with the 4.0 and I head the same thing around 2500 on the highway but when its warm as well. Very light rattle it sounds like. Sounds like its coming from transmission tunnel. I took it in and I said sounds like knock. they couldnt find anything wrong. Think this could be an issue?
    2004 Ranger S/C 4x4 4.0L Bone Stock.

Hello all,
    I just started noticing this knocking problem too in my 04. It occurs just above 2500rpm under load. To me it sounds like its coming from under the passenger side but my father insists its coming from the engine compartment. It is high pitched almost tinny sound. As this is my first vehicle I have owned I am somewhat ignorant of what spark knock sounds like.I only have about 9400 miles on it so my warrenty isnt a problem. Are people still having trouble getting it serviced? Thanks.

???

does this only happen to the newer rangers??? i have a '93 with 100,000 miles on it. i dont think its happeneing to mine, most people on here that said it has happened have been a 2001 or newer...

The SOHC began in the Ranger in 2001, so it's only from there up. Your OHV won't have it.

The new Generation-Edge

I might have this problem but not sure. So should I just take it in and tell them what others issues have been and what I have heard on mine?
    2001 Ford Explorer Sport
    [Flowmaster][MAC][Energy Suspension][Hankook][Steeda][QA1][Addco][Lamin-x]
    Soon to come Eaton M112
    www.PanhandleGearheads.com

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast