Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Difference between a SOHC 4wd engine and a 2wd engine??

I've read that the SOHC engines made for 4wd models have a different crank (ballanced crank) or something like that where as the 2wd's dont. I heard the reason behind this was something to do with the transfer case, does anyone have any insight behind this?

The reason im asking is that i bought a 01 SOHC engine and tranny hoping to swap it out next month sometime, but its from a 2wd. .. I didnt think it would matter.. so im kinda bummed out.

I think all Ranger engines are the same. The only time I've seen a different SOHC even referenced was in the TSB for the timing chain rattle. It references it as a "non-balance shaft equipped engine", which makes it sound like there was one with balance shafts.

The balance shaft is a secondary balancing shaft that is driving off the crank, not a balanced crank. It reduces the amount of vibration you feel from the engine.
    New here? Please read the Forum Rules

2003 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 4.0 SOHC, Auto, 3.55's, Bright Red
    MAC intake, Billet Grill, Extang RT Tonneau, clear corners, auto down passenger side window, explorer console, bucket seat conversion, Powertrax No-Slip, Perma-Cool 2950 cfm efan, James Duff Traction Bars, Dual Program Apten Chip, JBA Headers, Roush dual exhaust

2001 Mazda B4000 SE 4x4, Performance Red
    4.0 SOHC, 4.10's, 5 speed auto

The new Generation-Edge

The SOHC I swapped into my 2wd was from a 4wd Explorer. I think it has some sort of balancing shaft or something.

Swapped in fine though.
    2000 regular cab, stepside: 4.0L SOHC, 5-speed, bagged, 20s, 13" brakes in the front, discs in the rear. Best 1/4: 14.8 @ 92
    2001 Toyota 4Runner: stock... for now

- SSM Profile -

- AcrophobiA Profile -

Quote Posted by Zoom
    I think all Ranger engines are the same. The only time I've seen a different SOHC even referenced was in the TSB for the timing chain rattle. It references it as a "non-balance shaft equipped engine", which makes it sound like there was one with balance shafts.

The balance shaft is a secondary balancing shaft that is driving off the crank, not a balanced crank. It reduces the amount of vibration you feel from the engine.

so it sounds like more of a comfor thing, phew. thats a relief, i could care less if my truck shakes like crazy when the transfer case is engaged.. hell im offroad.. its bumpy as it is.

There's a balance shaft in the oil pan on a 4wd model but not on the 2wd's. It will work just fine with or without it.

Later Doug904.
    94 Ranger Splash, nice wheels, nice ride, I just love it!

That is assuming they put the right motor in to begin with.
    2003 blue mach 1 manual 13.76 1/4
    2001 saturn sl2 auto 14.62 1/4
    1994 s-10 4.3cpi auto 15.77 1/4
    04 blue edge 4x4 4.0 ext cab manual 16.47 1/4
    1973 VW Thing

Quote Posted by 3lranger
    That is assuming they put the right motor in to begin with.
    there is a 2wd sticker on the drivers side valve cover.. so they at least put the right sticker on..