Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle
    Edge-1

4.0 SOHC Ranger vs. 4.0 SOHC Explorer

What accounts for the 207 hp rating for the Ranger vs. the 210 hp rating on the X? Not sure about any torque differences. It almost sounds like a bolt on mod type of difference.

Best I can figure it's the exhaust design or maybe the intake or chip, but why and can we do it to the Ranger motor? 3 hp is not much but I'll take any and all hp I can get.

Supercharged Edge Owner GenerationEdge's Avatar

Re: 4.0 SOHC Ranger vs. 4.0 SOHC Explorer

Originally posted by Edge-1
    What accounts for the 207 hp rating for the Ranger vs. the 210 hp rating on the X? Not sure about any torque differences. It almost sounds like a bolt on mod type of difference.

Best I can figure it's the exhaust design or maybe the intake or chip, but why and can we do it to the Ranger motor? 3 hp is not much but I'll take any and all hp I can get.
    Well the visual difference looking at the SOHC Explorer is the plenum. I noticed the shape difference than my SOHC. Maybe this is where they are getting the extra power. I believe that the Explorer SOHC has 10 more ftbls of torque.

Jason
    My Edge Site--> Generation-Edge.com

2003 Oxford White Edge, SOHC 4.0L, 5-speed Manual, 3.55 L/S rear, 4X2, 2-door Supercab, Flareside Bed

Modifications: Chip, mods to the stock air box, 5% tinted windows, 2700cfm electric fan, and (4) Infinity Kappa 5X7's with (1) Bazooka RS10HP 10" Amplified Tube, Draw-Tite Hitch, James Duff traction bars & MP90 blower pushing 6 psi on the stock SOHC 4.0L.

Fast Cars are slow I ride EdgeR6's Avatar
    Well you could get 3 more HP from the computer chip alone, Kind of stupid why ford would do 210 for the X and 207 for the Ranger. Its only 3 hp difference, but I think they have a little more weight to push around unless its the sprot not sure then.

I Raced an 01 X and like a 98 or so X.
    They both gave me a weird look when I shut it down and the flew by. hehe.
    2013 Raptor, Screw Tux black
    2013 Yamaha WR450f motard track bike
    2004 Yamaha WR250F street legal!
    01 Yamaha R6 (flipping)
    2001 Trek 7000 MB
    75 ford bronco resto project.

It would be interesting to find what the difference is. It appears as though we've been shortchanged again.

SOHC in the Ranger.
    207 hp at 5250 rpm
    238 ft/lbs torque at 3000 rpm

SOHC in the Explorer
    210 hp at 5100 rpm
    254 ft/lbs torque at 3700 rpm

Same compression on both, so must be intake or exhaust differences. Just an FYI,

4.6L Triton V8
    239 hp at 4750 rpm
    282 ft/lbs torque at 4000 rpm
    New here? Please read the Forum Rules

2003 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 4.0 SOHC, Auto, 3.55's, Bright Red
    MAC intake, Billet Grill, Extang RT Tonneau, clear corners, auto down passenger side window, explorer console, bucket seat conversion, Powertrax No-Slip, Perma-Cool 2950 cfm efan, James Duff Traction Bars, Dual Program Apten Chip, JBA Headers, Roush dual exhaust

2001 Mazda B4000 SE 4x4, Performance Red
    4.0 SOHC, 4.10's, 5 speed auto

The new Generation-Edge

Fast Cars are slow I ride EdgeR6's Avatar
    Originally posted by Zoom
    It would be interesting to find what the difference is. It appears as though we've been shortchanged again.

SOHC in the Ranger.
    207 hp at 5250 rpm
    238 ft/lbs torque at 3000 rpm

SOHC in the Explorer
    210 hp at 5100 rpm
    254 ft/lbs torque at 3700 rpm

Same compression on both, so must be intake or exhaust differences. Just an FYI,

4.6L Triton V8
    239 hp at 4750 rpm
    282 ft/lbs torque at 4000 rpm

of cuourse the Ranger is nothing to ford. do you think that we would make the Ranger with the same HP and torque as the X. its just the best selling compact pickup on the market.

We have to fight for everhthing.
    2013 Raptor, Screw Tux black
    2013 Yamaha WR450f motard track bike
    2004 Yamaha WR250F street legal!
    01 Yamaha R6 (flipping)
    2001 Trek 7000 MB
    75 ford bronco resto project.

Edge-1
    What's really a sin is that the 3.0 in the Escape is 200 hp but the horrible 3.0 on the Ranger is 150.

We have a 3.8 Windstar at work and it hauls @ss--probably would beat the SOHC 4.0 easily.

Originally posted by Edge-1
    What's really a sin is that the 3.0 in the Escape is 200 hp but the horrible 3.0 on the Ranger is 150.
    In that case those are COMPELETLY different engines and really don't even warrent a compairison. About the only thing they share in common is the size.

Edge-1
    I know that.

My remark is that they can build a decent 3.0 (Escape) but an anemic 3.0 (Ranger).

I don't know why they haven't trashed the Ranger 3.0 in favor or a modern 3.0 Escape motor. Maybe next gen Rangers???

I was comparing apples to apples. Well, engine size that is

: : :

Two reasons you won't see the DOHC 3.0 replace the OHV 3.0 in our beloved Rangers. Number one and probably most importantly is cost. The DOHC option for the Ranger would probably be more thand the SOHC 4.0 option is. The OHV engines are used because they are cheap and that's what ford markets the Ranger as, cheap transportation. Second reason is torque. I don't know the exact figures but usually the DOHC engine pick up HP but loose torque. Torque is what it takes to pull stuff and again it goes back to what Ford is building the ranger to do. It would be nice to see something like that done up, but I seriously doubt you'll ever see it come from the Ford plant.