Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

2002 Ford Ranger Timing Chains

I've heard that the chronic timing chain rattle for '01 and '02 4.0 SOHC's was fixed at some point during '02. I've searched the internet and the forums and can't find any hard data that tells me which trucks are affected or not. Does anyone know of some dates of manufacture or perhaps a resource I can run a VIN through to see if the truck should be fixed?

I'm in the process of buying a new truck and am looking at an '02 4.0, but don't want to have to deal with the timing chain issue seeing as how they are now out of warranty.

Thanks for any help.
    ---- 2003 4.0 SOHC XLT 4X4 Ext Cab ----
    ---- FX4 Level II ----
    ---- Bama Tune 89 Performance ----

I've searched for this data many times and can't find it. I guess it was a running change and it wasn't documented. Most manufacturers do that, and it's frustrating if you're trying to pinpoint which vehicles may have an issue.

But it's pretty easy to hear if the truck has it. Let it warm up a bit, then drive it alongside a wall or high curb. Between 2400-3000 rpm in any gear you'll hear it rattle. It sounds just like spark knock but it's not dependent on engine load, just rpm. And you need to listen for it before it gets up to full operating temperature, as most of them go away after that. And full operating temp is usually a little longer than it takes for the gauge to read normal, or at least 12-15 minutes.

Good luck!
    New here? Please read the Forum Rules

2003 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 4.0 SOHC, Auto, 3.55's, Bright Red
    MAC intake, Billet Grill, Extang RT Tonneau, clear corners, auto down passenger side window, explorer console, bucket seat conversion, Powertrax No-Slip, Perma-Cool 2950 cfm efan, James Duff Traction Bars, Dual Program Apten Chip, JBA Headers, Roush dual exhaust

2001 Mazda B4000 SE 4x4, Performance Red
    4.0 SOHC, 4.10's, 5 speed auto

The new Generation-Edge

Wake up &smell the coffee Rob 99's Avatar
    My door sticker says mine was built 8/02, i think thats about as late in the build year as you can get, i have no timing chain rattle that i can hear, hope that helps.
    '02 Ranger XLT, 4dr,auto 4.0, Silver/Dark Gray, Homemade CAI, Gibson sideswept catback, SCT X3 Tuner 3 programs,
    Flex-a-lite efan#40, APC side signals, DEI Python alarm w/remote start, Duraliner Bedliner,Truxedo Tonneau cover, Lund Moonvisor, Clarion Pro Audio DXZ725, Rockford Fosgate FRC-3257, Sirius Radio
    Past Ride:
    99' MAZDA B-3000 Troy Lee,
    International-America Air Forces Acadamy Grad '96
    *MSgt.*
    "This is the night,this is the sound,here comes the warm machine"- Bush(the band)

i think i may have this problem there is a rattle in the 2300-3000rpm range and it will not go away. i have been over and over the truck again and again and cannot find where it is comming from. It does not rattle if i rev the engine in park or neutral though so it is very hard to diagnose as the noise is only made when the vehicle is moving. the only way it will stop is if i add more gas and make the rpm's climb past 3000 :/

Is there any way to fix it?
    2001 Ranger EDGE-plus Supercab 4-Door
    4.0L V6 SOHC 4x4
    4.10 Gears / Stepbars / Mudflaps

****MODS****
    Sony Xplod Head Unit /// Westin Sportsman Grille Guard /// PIAA 520 Series Driving Lights (110 Watts each) /// Flowmasters Delta 40 Series SI/DO /// Line-X Spray in Bedliner /// Manik Tail-light Guards /// 20% Tinted Windows /// K & N Air Intake Gen II FIPK /// UWS Low Profile Toolbox /// Xenon 7000k HID Headlights /// 2006 Ranger Emblems

Check me out on Myspace!

Sure is a way to fix it, just replace the timing chain, sprockets, guide and tensioner.

Not what you wanted to hear, but that's the only way to do it. The improved tensioner has more springs than the old one did that rattled.

BTW, the way the dealer got my Mazda to rattle was just by hitting the throttle quickly. As soon as the engine tried to rev, it made this little "clack" sound. You have to really listen to hear it though.

MAC intake, Billet Grill, Extang RT Tonneau, clear corners, auto down passenger side window, explorer console, bucket seat conversion, Powertrax No-Slip, Perma-Cool 2950 cfm efan, James Duff Traction Bars, Dual Program Apten Chip, JBA Headers, Roush dual exhaust

The new Generation-Edge

Thanks. I also just found some helpful info online.

Ford

Timing chain rattle. Some 19992002 Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers, and 2001-02 Explorer Sport Trac, Sport and Ranger models-all equipped with the 4.0L SOHC engine-may exhibit a timing chain rattle. The rattle is heard during both hot-engine and cold-engine operation, but is most noticeable when the engine is cold and under acceleration. The sound typically occurs at 2400 to 2500 rpm.

To detect the noise on a road test, accelerate in 2nd gear between 2000 and 3000 rpm and listen for a rattle that sounds similar to spark knock. If present, the noise may be created by the primary timing chain tensioner.

To silence the noise, replace the timing chain tensioner, chain guide, jackshaft and crankshaft sprockets using the proper Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit. The kit includes replacements for the parts mentioned, plus the required fasteners, a primary timing chain and front cover gaskets.

Use Kit 2U3Z-6D256-AA (balance shaft engines) for 1999-2001 4x4 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2001-02 4x4 Sport/Sport Trac and all 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer engines (except those with codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA).

Use Kit 2U3Z-6D256-BA (nonbalance shaft engines) for 1999-2001 4x2 Explorer/Mountaineer engines, all 2002-02 Ranger engines and 2001-02 4x2 Sport/Sport Trac, 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer engines with codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA.
    2001 Ranger EDGE-plus Supercab 4-Door
    4.0L V6 SOHC 4x4
    4.10 Gears / Stepbars / Mudflaps

****MODS****
    Sony Xplod Head Unit /// Westin Sportsman Grille Guard /// PIAA 520 Series Driving Lights (110 Watts each) /// Flowmasters Delta 40 Series SI/DO /// Line-X Spray in Bedliner /// Manik Tail-light Guards /// 20% Tinted Windows /// K & N Air Intake Gen II FIPK /// UWS Low Profile Toolbox /// Xenon 7000k HID Headlights /// 2006 Ranger Emblems

Check me out on Myspace!

My ranger is an early 2002 ranger that had the rattle. Serial production # started with A-20.... I fixed it myself. Took me 12hrs. "see timing chain rattle" Forum for more info. You can get the Rattle kit from Ford. Nice and quiet now

mid jacked ranger
    my truck comes from the new jersey plant... if that helps any...
    and it has rattle

S-10 Driver
    Bought my 2003 in November of 2003 and
    it has the rattle. Don't have the date
    of manufacture in front of me.
    2003 XLT 4X4, 4.0, slushbox.

Manual A/C mod.

Thanks for the replies. It's starting to sound like it's hit and miss with this issue, and even UtahJ says he's getting the noise in his NOV '03 truck. I think I'm starting to lean towards a 1999-2000 4X4. The older trucks surely will have their own problems, but at least they won't sound like a rattling tin can. It just irks me everytime I get on the gas and it starts a rattling away, and of course my dealership isn't going to do anything about it.
    ---- 2003 4.0 SOHC XLT 4X4 Ext Cab ----
    ---- FX4 Level II ----
    ---- Bama Tune 89 Performance ----

i have it up untill its FULLY warmed, not the temp gauge like 12-15 minutes like mike said....
    1992 Chevy S104X4

2002 4.0 w/ 700r4 tranny, manual valve-body, and 3800 stall converter

Built Ford Tough with Chevy stuff.

Bama Chips!!!!
    Underdog Performance

For Sale:
    Factory Aluminum Driveshaft
    Ranger factory floor center console
    For sale thread, lots of good stuff:
    http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=250315

Quote Posted by Oakwood
    I think I'm starting to lean towards a 1999-2000 4X4. The older trucks surely will have their own problems, but at least they won't sound like a rattling tin can.
    Guess again.

The 98-early 00 models had a different problem that made a lot of noise too. Do a search for "marbling". My 99 had it, but it doesn't seem to cause any damage, you just have to get used to having a 4.0 that sounds like a diesel.

And the way Ford described the noise was "marbles in a tin can".

The new Generation-Edge

Does this rattle actually harm the engine at all, or is it just more of an inconvenience? My truck is an 03, built 11/02 though. It's got just under 20k miles on it and I don't think there is a rattle but I haven't payed much attention for it.

What mileage does this usually surface at, or is it just like that from the factory?
    2003 4.0 Edge 4x2 ext cab.

ARE V series full cap, colour matched.
    Stainless 2.25" cat back duals w/magnaflow stainless muffler.
    Viper 5900 alarm / remote starter
    Clarion 7" indash dvd w/ iPod controls.
    30gig video iPod.

Quote Posted by j-roc
    Does this rattle actually harm the engine at all, or is it just more of an inconvenience? My truck is an 03, built 11/02 though. It's got just under 20k miles on it and I don't think there is a rattle but I haven't payed much attention for it.

What mileage does this usually surface at, or is it just like that from the factory?
    Mine rattled right from the factory. The kit that I bought said it was for 01,02 4.0L Ranger's. I know they fixed the problem by late 02. Does it start rattling around 2500rpm when colder?

Quote Posted by BigBlueX
    Mine rattled right from the factory. The kit that I bought said it was for 01,02 4.0L Ranger's. I know they fixed the problem by late 02. Does it start rattling around 2500rpm when colder?
    I'm not sure, I haven't really been listening. I bought it this winter so I haven't really driven with the window down or anything to hear it.
    2003 4.0 Edge 4x2 ext cab.

ARE V series full cap, colour matched.
    Stainless 2.25" cat back duals w/magnaflow stainless muffler.
    Viper 5900 alarm / remote starter
    Clarion 7" indash dvd w/ iPod controls.
    30gig video iPod.