Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGR Valve

EGR Valve

I went to autozone to get a new egr valve but the part number they have in the computer isn't the same part. I took my egr valve in and they don't even have that part number in the computer. What's going on? The part number that shows on the part is: F87E-9C915-BB

NINJA
    Why, did you get a CEL and a code?
    2000 Ranger S-Cab XLT 3.0 FFV 5 speed
    White, 4WD Off Road, 2 door, Tow Package, 4.10 LS
    Bucket seats, HWBP, Fog Light mod, Air Box snorkel removed
    Blinker mod, Factory Live front axles
    Rolling on P235/75R15 Michelins on Explorer alloy wheels
    Hardly ever driven now, I ride my 82 Goldwing!

FREE 1993 Reg cab, 2.3 5 speed Project truck
    Needs a windshield. It's PURPLE! Sold for $450

$500 93 S-Cab 2.3 5 speed blue truck New slave fixed it, sold for $1500, still see it every day!

My truck hasn't been running right the past couple days. Look at my other post.

NINJA
    I ggogled that part number, nothing concrete, but a reference to a purge valve.

No CEL, so no reason to suspect EGR. Age of plugs and wires? At least pull the plugs and look, clean, gap. Idle it, spray the wires with a mist of water in the dark, looking for arcing = bad wires. Try again while revving.

Feel the exhaust (glove) while someone revs, should have good exhaust flow.

I wouldn't be buying any parts until you figure out what the problem is.
    2000 Ranger S-Cab XLT 3.0 FFV 5 speed
    White, 4WD Off Road, 2 door, Tow Package, 4.10 LS
    Bucket seats, HWBP, Fog Light mod, Air Box snorkel removed
    Blinker mod, Factory Live front axles
    Rolling on P235/75R15 Michelins on Explorer alloy wheels
    Hardly ever driven now, I ride my 82 Goldwing!

FREE 1993 Reg cab, 2.3 5 speed Project truck
    Needs a windshield. It's PURPLE! Sold for $450

$500 93 S-Cab 2.3 5 speed blue truck New slave fixed it, sold for $1500, still see it every day!

Quote Posted by stlboarder
    I went to autozone to get a new egr valve but the part number they have in the computer isn't the same part. I took my egr valve in and they don't even have that part number in the computer. What's going on? The part number that shows on the part is: F87E-9C915-BB
    My EGR in my 2002 went bad but it did show a CEL and referenced the correct code!
    http:bansheesupercharger.com
    2002 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2, 4.0L SOHC V6 Engine with: M90 Eaton Supercharger from 3.8 supercoupe-(Banshee Supercharger, Inc), K & N Filter, Xcalibrator-2, Super 40 Flowmaster, Innovate LM-1
    Let's Buy "American" When Ever Possible! " http:buyamericanmadeonline.com

K... I'll check my plugs and wires.

I just changed my plugs and wires. It's still running the same. What else could it be?

'01 4X4 Edge 4.0 SOHC texasccl2's Avatar
    what you have is an engineering number. not a service part number. more than likely you need a dpfe sensor. much cheaper. autozone dosen't sell them either. it's a dealer item. recently motorcraft has taken on some of the dpfe sensor applications so you might check with an independent motorcraft distributor in your area. the dealership where i work at gets more customers sent to us by autozone to purchase an egr valve when all that is needed is a dpfe sensor. it's the black plastic part upstream with two hi-temp rubber hoses connected to it. your plugs and wires are good to 100k.

Is what your talking about this?

That doesn't look like a DPFE sensor unless they changed them. The one on my 01 was a black rectangle with the two tubes extending directly down from it.

I got the DPFE sensor from either Advance Auto or AutoZone, just a couple months ago.

The valve you have pictured looks more like the purge valve.
    New here? Please read the Forum Rules

2003 Ranger XLT, 4x2, 4.0 SOHC, Auto, 3.55's, Bright Red
    MAC intake, Billet Grill, Extang RT Tonneau, clear corners, auto down passenger side window, explorer console, bucket seat conversion, Powertrax No-Slip, Perma-Cool 2950 cfm efan, James Duff Traction Bars, Dual Program Apten Chip, JBA Headers, Roush dual exhaust

2001 Mazda B4000 SE 4x4, Performance Red
    4.0 SOHC, 4.10's, 5 speed auto

The new Generation-Edge

that's pretty close but the dpfe sensor is smaller and is on the drivers side of the engine and is usually supported by the two hoses with one electrical connector attached to it. i'll go into work tomorrow and attach a diagram of it here. it's rectangular also. when you see the photo let me know what your closet dealer charges you for it and i will sell it to you for my employee price with free ups shipping to you too.

Here's a useful link! http://www.motorcraft.com/catalog.do
    http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt35.pdf
    2002 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2, 4.0L SOHC V6 Engine with: M90 Eaton Supercharger from 3.8 supercoupe-(Banshee Supercharger, Inc), K & N Filter, Xcalibrator-2, Super 40 Flowmaster, Innovate LM-1

Is what your talking about this?
    http://c2c.activant.com/ctoc/index.j...RHVhoFb1UOV3Af

Ok... I'm still stumped. Why is my truck stumbling still? The only codes that are showing are for the 2 O2 sensors but it always shows that since I put the bama tune on my truck 10 months ago. It was running great up until 2 nights ago.

Any chance you cats might be blocking up?

It's definatly possible. The only thing that gets me is the fact that it happend just all of a sudden. It didn't slowly start over time. How would I check them?

You say its only been this way for a couple of days, with no CEL. Maybe you just got a tank of bad fuel, go to another station and fill up. Sometimes its something stupid like that.
    -John
    Harvest Gold 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, Off Road package, SOHC 4.0 automatic, Line-X bed liner and step rails, Silverstar bulbs, Alpine CDA-7894, Alpine R series 6.5 components [front], Alpine R series 5x7's [rear], "hard wired" Passport 7500s radar detector, 35% tint on sides and top of windshield, Undercover tonneau, Rancho RSX shocks, Clifford Matrix RS2 remote remote start/alarm, BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A ko tires, blinker mod, 06 emblems, clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers

I'll try it. But I mean... this thing is running like arse. No balls what so ever.

dpfe sensor

here's the diagram with price, ford pt number and motorcraft number. this is more than likely your problem. well; cant find the place for attaching an image from my scanner. the ford part number is F77Z-9J460-AB and the motorcraft number is DPFE-15. my price to you is 62.70.

Quote Posted by texasccl2
    here's the diagram with price, ford pt number and motorcraft number. this is more than likely your problem. well; cant find the place for attaching an image from my scanner. the ford part number is F77Z-9J460-AB and the motorcraft number is DPFE-15. my price to you is 62.70.
    http://www.cityautosupply.com/DPFE%20Sensor.pdf

I think it was just bad gas. Today I ran the tank down to about a quarter tank and refueled. It's running almost normal now. Every once in a while it'll hicup but other than that it's runnin like a champ. Hopefully that was it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ok I lied... it started stumbling again halfway through the tank. My hanes manual isn't any help since all the pics in it are of SOHV. Can anyone explain where my DPFE sensor would be? I've looked and can't find anything that would resemble one except for the pic I posted above.

i woudnt be worrying about your dpfe because it seems like you have amuch different problem i have had dpfe and egr valves go bad and the only reason i knew was because of the cel.. the truck ran just as good as normal. for your truck to be losing that much power i think there is a more serious problem. take the the tune file out of your truck and run a stock tune for a few days and see if throws a code with a stock tune. if it was your cats you would know it because i blew my cats this summer ith less than 20k on the truck, I stepped on the gass the truck would run fine until about 3500 and then it would fall flat on its face. good luck man

VEHICLE:2003 Ford Ranger Toreador red 4.0 automatic
    SUSPENSION:Djm 4/5 drop, doestch tech shocks, 3/4 rear sway bar
    Exterior:Roush thunderbolt front fascia with fog lights and colormatched grille, extang tuff tounnea, 06 tails 17x9 front and 17x10.5 rear Fr500's
    INTERIOR: expor ohc, mustang dome light,expo center console
    Engine:dumped gibson, sct livewire custom tuned by bamachips, Air ForceOne Performance Cai, Ford trac-lock, 3800 stall converter

What else could it be?

dpfe sensor location!

rpcaster sent you a picture of the dpfe sensor and it is located on the drivers side of the engines valve cover with two hoses attached at the bottom that are attached to metal tubes coming up from the manifold and an electrical connector hooked to it near the top; should be a two wire connector. if you cant find it after this photo and directions then maybe it's not there. has anyone been jacking with your truck? like said above; it's a good idea to set everything back to stock and use that as a baseline to start diag. your problem to see if it shows up again. it's good idea to get a friendship started with a tech at a ford dealership or any other repair facility that has the expensive equipmnt to diag your problem. with the right equipment the problem can usually be found in less than thirty minutes. at least that is my experience having my ranger diag'd.

OzzModz Classifieds
    going back to the bad gas idea, maybe you got water in your tank. AutoZone has a treatment that will get rid of the water in the gas tank. I don't remember what it is called, but it will be near the other treatments (like fuel injectors, octane booster, etc.). hope this helps.

if none of these ideas work than you have a very serious problem on your hands. have you check the exhaust for discoloration? are all of your fluids full? plugs, wires, cats, etc.

Queen Anne's Revenge
    2000 3.slow 2WD
    DJM 4/5 on 17s (rear 315/35 and front 245/45)
    remove auto-tragic for 5-speed from '07
    Hurst shifter - best mod so far
    '07 Ranger rear taillights
    '97 expo axle out back w/ drilled & slotted rotors
    '05 spindles up front which allow for 11.25" drilled & slotted rotors

Red Baron - always flying low
    bagged 2001 F150 on 22s
    new c-notch completed by BSG Customs

2002 Lincoln Navigator - sold
    2003 Harley Dyna - mikuni carb, open pipes, smoked lenses

if you havent allready done so i would most deffinately change your plugs and wires. It sounds like you have more of an ignition/firing problem, which could be caused by bad gas. Its possible that a plug wire may be cracked or cut and causing a misfire, however a misfire will throw a code. Try detuning and driving it for a few days, i have heard of situations where tune files have stopped the ecm from displaying codes and when returned to a stock tune file the computer threw codes. If you can get the truck to throw a code then we can help you diagnose the problem better and tell you how to go about solving it.

Exterior:Roush thunderbolt front fascia with fog lights and colormatched grille, extang tuff tounnea, 06 tails 17x9 front and 17x10.5 rear Fr500's
    Engine:dumped gibson, sct livewire custom tuned by bamachips, Air ForceOne Performance Cai, Ford trac-lock, 3800 stall converter

-Ranger/B4000-
    Which codes is it throwing? Both banks lean?

I put the stock tune back on this morning before I left for work and by the time I got there it was throwing a code. I checked it at lunch and it was throwing P0303 and P1000. In hanes it says that cylinder 3 is misfiring. So tomorrow when it's light out I'm gonna go check all the connections and pull the plug to see what it looks like. Any other suggestions?

i had a feeling that was why there was no code, because for it to be missing that bad and not show a code seemed odd. I would suggest just changing all your plugs and wires as that seems to be the problem. if this doesnt do anything then its possible you have a bad/clogged injector. Go to a local auto parts store and buy a bottle of chevron injector cleaner(like $11) and pour it in your gas tank. If you do have a bad injector as i did in my 95 3.0 when i was having misfiring problems u can just change the one injector(it isnt too complicated). If all this doesnt solve it i would then run a compression check because u may have a bad valve or headgasket but that would have probably caused more serious prblems by now.. As i was saying just try changing to plugs and wires and run some injector cleaner and see if that solves the problem then take it from there. I hope this was of some help.. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast