PDA

View Full Version : Mercon III vs. Mercon V for manual tranny

scrib
Aug 26 2003, 03:04pm
I recently changed the fluid in my transfer case and put in Mercon V. I'm getting ready to change my manual transmission fluid and was doing some searching online and found that there is a lot of misinformation and questions about Mercon V vs Mercon III and which should be used for different applications. Should my '99 Ranger w/ a 5spd manual get Mercon III, Mercon V, or does it matter? Should I have not used Mercon V in my transfer case? Hopefully somebody can clear this up for me.

Thanks,

Scrib

GREENPUS
Aug 26 2003, 03:43pm
Originally posted by scrib
I recently changed the fluid in my transfer case and put in Mercon V. I'm getting ready to change my manual transmission fluid and was doing some searching online and found that there is a lot of misinformation and questions about Mercon V vs Mercon III and which should be used for different applications. Should my '99 Ranger w/ a 5spd manual get Mercon III, Mercon V, or does it matter? Should I have not used Mercon V in my transfer case? Hopefully somebody can clear this up for me.

Thanks,

Scrib

All else fails, read the owners manual. It tells you what to use.

mwittman
Aug 26 2003, 03:48pm
Mercon V has special additives for automatic 5-spd transmissions (5r-55E). I've not heard of it being used for manuals, although that's not to say Ford doesn't recommend it. Like stated above, read the manual. If your goal is to switch to a synthetic, then find a brand that matches what Ford requires you to use.

Matt

JW™
Aug 26 2003, 04:43pm
I've actually heard from a few sources that Mercon V is NOT to be used in the Mazda manual trannies (but don't have any supporting info for that).

Oh, no such thing as "Mercon III" (it's just "Mercon"). Perhaps you're thinking of Dexron III (GM's spec)?

scrib
Aug 26 2003, 05:10pm
I would read the manual if I had one. I just bought the truck and it didn't come with one. I suppose I will just use the regular Mercon then. Thanks

Rand
Aug 26 2003, 11:58pm
Use regular Mercon/dextron III
Mercon V is only for the newer automatics.

gravy
Aug 27 2003, 10:37am
Use regular Mercon/dextron III
Mercon V is only for the newer automatics.

I keep hearing this but no one knows why. Even the M/D III sez ATF on it, so it is "for automatics"... The MercV bottle sez "meets or exceeds all Mercon III specifications." Can't be all bad.

here's this, which may only confuse the issue more, but at least is info. Basically sez any *Auto* that takes Merc/Dex III can take Merc V (Edit: *if* the MercV also meats Merc standards, which all I have seen say that on the bottle) (that's what I get out of it)
From http://www.pennzoil.com/carcare/pete/spring_1998/choose.htm :

"Ford currently has three automatic transmission fluid specifications:
Ford Type F ATF, which was introduced in 1967, MERCONŽ, introduced in
1987, and the newer MERCONŽV specification. Ford Type F ATF is a
non-friction modified fluid that has limited use in today's automatic
transmissions. MERCONŽ testing procedures are very similar to the
DEXRONŽ-III specification, and most fluids that meet DEXRONŽ-III will
also meet MERCONŽ requirements. Ford introduced the MERCONŽV
specification for use in 1997 Ford Rangers, Explorers equipped with V-6
engines, and Aerostar wagons and vans. The MERCONŽV testing procedure
includes shear stability testing, anti-shudder requirements, improved
extreme pressure/anti-wear test requirements and seal material
compatibility. Ford does not recommend MERCONŽV for top-off or servicing
of earlier transmissions. However, if an ATF meets both MERCONŽ and
MERCONŽV, it can be used in both applications."

gravy
Aug 27 2003, 10:41am
more from the penzoil site.....

"PENNZOILŽ MERCONŽV ATF is recommended in all applications calling for
MERCONŽV or MERCONŽ automatic transmission fluid. Such applications may
include automatic transmissions and transaxles, manual transmissions and transaxles and certain power steering pump reservoirs. General
application guidelines are shown below. Always consult the owner's
manual for verification."

(the bolding was my addition)

However, this thread shows massive arugments and quotes ford manuals saying it's a no-no (unfortunately it all seems based around Auto Trannies)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=Cnxqa.126266%24ja4.5384142%40bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dmercon%2BV%2Bin%2Bmanual%26hl%3Den%26 lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3DCnxqa.126266%2524ja4.5384142%2540bgtnsc 05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net%26rnum%3D2

scrib
Aug 27 2003, 10:49am
Thanks for the replys. I've actually called six dealerships around Columbus this morning and asked the service departments this question. I got three votes for Merc and three votes for Merc V. This is getting funny. I guess if the Merc V manufacturers claim it meets and exceeds all Merc specifications, it should be ok. It would be nice to get some kind of definitive answer from Ford though.

Scrib

GREENPUS
Aug 27 2003, 11:00am
THis is from the owners manual

Front and rear axle gets 80w-90 axle lube.
Transfer case gets MERCON ATF.
Manual Transmission gets MERCON ATF.
Auto Transmission get MERCON V ATF.
Powersteering gets MERCON ATF.

MERCON ATF and MERCON V ATF are not interchangeable no matter what anyone says or what ever penzoil says.. Ford recommends NOT using anytype of transmission fluid that has both the characteristics of MERCON ATF and MERCON V ATF. So penzoil is on crack.

You can not use powersteering fluid in the PS pumps. Only use MERCON ATF. Using powersteering fluid in the pump will shorten the life of the pump.

NinjaJc7
Aug 27 2003, 11:25am
Redline synthetic is awesome to use, does a great job....Also I know that if you do a search there has been ppl that have actually mixed there own brand's together and gotten a nice mix

gravy
Aug 27 2003, 11:39am
:daze: I have been reading arguments on this for the last hour or so and this is what i can deduce:

1.) Just use whatever your manual says to use.

2.) Don't ever ask why a fluid that meets all the standards you need met, but happens to meet some others too, should not be used. No one knows.

I want the question #2 answered so bad, just out of curiosity. WTF is the difference between them?

I did see what GreenPus was saying in quotes ppl posted from their ford manuals (re: don't mix, don't use dual spec oil, use what manual says). Just wish I could find a satisfying answer like "MercV is for use in higher-tolerance bearings, but in older-style trannies, the larger clearance requires the use of thicker Merc/DexIII" (I made that up, just so we're clear) :cussing:

I only found one difference btwn them (with no proof or backing of course) and that was that MercV has a higher max operating temp (which of course wouldn't be a detriment in a Merc/DexIII system, right?)

*throws in the towel*

JW™
Aug 29 2003, 04:58am
Originally posted by GREENPUS
So penzoil is on crack.

This is news???

Rand
Aug 31 2003, 12:19am
I think I remember an article about mercon V not being compatible with the seals in the ?4r70w?(t-bird) transmission.

Rand

cajun
Sep 01 2003, 02:16pm
So as to continue the dead horse flogging, here's what my 2001 Ranger Supercab XLT Owners' Manual says:

Motorcraft MERCON ATF for 5-spd MANUAL transmission 2.65 liter (2.8 qts).

Motorcraft MERCON V ATF for ALL automatics...regardless of engine size or whether 4X2 or 4X4. (though the volume of fluid if different, oddly).
There is also a foot note that emphasizes that .."MERCON and MERCON V are NOT interchangeable. DO NOT mix MERCON and MERCON V."

So .... its clear what to use IF you use Motorcraft products....but gets muddy when you want to use other than Motorcraft products.
I'm wanting to put all synthetics in my drive train, but its gonna take some reading to convince me which is OK.

-Cajun

snoranger
Sep 02 2003, 11:51am
My uncle works for Ford, I had him talk to to a Ford engineer about a tranny shudder in my van (E4OD). He said use mercon V, it is designed to be a more slick fluid, and lets the clutches engage smoother.