Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle
    S-10 Driver

2wd to 4wd conversion?

found a good deal on a 97 ranger but its 2wd. we already have a 4wd ranger that has a rusted frame. is it possible to convert the97 to 4wd using the components from our 95 4wd? how much work would it be if it is possible.
    thanks guys and sorry if its in the wrong section

Resident Septuagenarian Ponyguy's Avatar
    Anything is possible, given enough money and effort. Whether it's advisable is a totally different matter.
    The conversion you suggest could be done, but it would hardly be worth the effort and time involved.
    Regards,
    Grandpa Gene (The Old Guy)

-----------------------------------
    TRUCK by Ford.

ENGINE by Mazda.

POWER by VMPTuning.

2004 Ranger Flareside with 2.3 liter stick shift.
    Mods: Airbox, X-Cal2, K&N, Rear swaybar, True-Trac, Duff Trac bar, Chrome step bars, SilverStar parking and headlights, clear corners, Explorer OHC, FX4 shifter, Chrome 2006-7 grille, Electrochromic mirror, 4WD valance w/fogs, autolamps, keypad entry, front seat cupholders, Kleen Wheels, hard tonneau...

Im sure you could do it, but if I was going to do it that way, Id take the transmission/transfer case and put it in the 2wd truck, but I would find a solid axle to swap in the front instead of the stock TTB out of the other Ranger.

It would probably be easier to use a solid axle rather than the TTB also because you could just use leaf springs.
    1999 Ranger XLT RCSB 4x2
    3.0L FFV, M5OD, 3.73
    Thrush Welded dumped, Airbox/Throttle Cable/HWBP Mods, Tint, Toolbox, 235/75's, JVC HD Radio, Pioneer speakers, Explorer Tach Cluster, Explorer OHC

Toss that idea out of your mind immediately, unless you decide to do a solid axle front end. The frames are different. You'd have to weld in the 4wd crossmember. Its a massive pain in the butt.
    2000 Ranger Trailhead - Mandarin Gold
    Currently in pieces undergoing V8 and AWD transplant.

1994 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Plum
    4.0, 5 speed, manual shift transfer case, Borla headers with true dual exhaust
    4" suspension & 3" body lift, 4.56 gears, Centerline wheels, 35x12.50 Cooper STT's

1994 Ranger 5.0 - Blue
    Sold long ago, but a nice burnout video is availabe to view on YouTube. Click here.

I recall someone doing it before, but cant find the thread. I recall they said it was more trouble than it was worth. I would love to convert mine.