Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

straight pipes...illegal?

i was asking about straight pipes and was told they are illegal!
    is this true!?
    i love the sound they make and want to mod my exhaust to dual straight pipe

Beams Get The Bitches!!! SatansBrother's Avatar
    OzzModz Classifieds
    depends on the law of the state ur in. some states have a db level you cant exceed, and also some shops wo,t do straight pipes because they could get fined for removing the cats off ur vehicle. just looking out for themselves. there a shop where i live and they guy there will do anything you want.
    Quote Posted by SoutTexasRanger View Post
    no bags, no switches, no fat bitches

Leave the cats and a good deal of pipe on, it makes a mellower sound with less backfiring. Take the cats off and the backfiring gets real old.

It all depends where you live. Where I live there are no emissions and no inspections. The shop in the next town to me removes cats and stuff. My friend with a 89 F250 with dual pipes and glasspacks went through a police road block. They didnt say anything to him. It just depends where you live.

A&P In need of a Jay Oh B Blhde's Avatar
    Federal law says if your vehicle came with cats it needs cats. I think the muffler is on a state to state basis.

You can run cut outs with dumps. The just switch between illegal and legal.

Just don't get caught using cut outs on the street.

Keep in mind a ranger will not benefit from really open exhaust with out major mods to the engine. Most likely you will lose a bit of your bottom end power.
    99 x-cab 4x4 4.0l auto
    mods, cranked t-bars, silencer delete, k&n drop in, Trans Go stage 3 shift kit,3200stall Fuddle Racing Torque Converter,
    VANIR 63mm TB, Roush split rear exit exhuast, E-Fan, JBA headers
    Auto up/down both windows, OHC, EATC

03 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Resident Septuagenarian Ponyguy's Avatar
    Removing the cats makes pollution. And, even if you do, the truck won't run any better. And it violates Federal Emissions laws. Don't do it.

Removing the mufflers pisses off the neighbors and anyone else you drive near. Just "do the right thing" if you want a "cool" sounding truck, and have proper mufflers installed. There are lots of nice-sounding exhaust systems available that will satisfy your need for noise without rattling the windows in the neighborhood and making a bunch of enemies.

If you don't feel like "doing the right thing" for your own sake, do it for the sake of all the other guys who like to mod their cars and trucks; we don't want to wear a label that tells the world that we're selfish and don't give a shyt about the feelings of the rest of the world's population.
    Regards,
    Grandpa Gene (The Old Guy)

-----------------------------------
    TRUCK by Ford.

ENGINE by Mazda.

POWER by VMPTuning.

2004 Ranger Flareside with 2.3 liter stick shift.
    Mods: Airbox, X-Cal2, K&N, Rear swaybar, True-Trac, Duff Trac bar, Chrome step bars, SilverStar parking and headlights, clear corners, Explorer OHC, FX4 shifter, Chrome 2006-7 grille, Electrochromic mirror, 4WD valance w/fogs, autolamps, keypad entry, front seat cupholders, Kleen Wheels, hard tonneau...

im not worried about pissing anybody off. my nieghboorhood is full of motorcycles that are a lot louder than my truck will ever be.
    i think i'll take the " leave the cats and dump it " advice.
    and the guys doing the right thing can deal with the different views of other truck guys

-thanks guys

The Real Splash rangersplash2.3's Avatar
    put a flowmaster on it and be done
    93SPLASH:18x9 chrome bullitts,245\45\18nexen tires,hurst shifter,painted 4x4valance,fogs,pioneer DEH-9800BT,hard bed cover,flowmaster delta 40,01 cobra leather\seude buckets,C.A.I.,cone filter,vent visors,niteshaded tails, black projector lights,repainted,8000k HIDs,140mph speedo,OHC,tweeters, kicker1000.1 rl-i10 sub.
    future mods:roll pan(ready)20%tint,dream beams(ready) 8.8 axle,racer walsh cam, turbo,new windshield,2tone paint body mounts.
    84ranger: sold
    95Tbird 4.6 auto

Does your truck have the 2 large cats and 2 pre cats? If so, just dump it, but make sure to actually put a dump on it. It is going to drone real bad though.
    1992 Chevy S104X4

2002 4.0 w/ 700r4 tranny, manual valve-body, and 3800 stall converter

Built Ford Tough with Chevy stuff.

Bama Chips!!!!
    Underdog Performance

For Sale:
    Factory Aluminum Driveshaft
    Ranger factory floor center console
    For sale thread, lots of good stuff:
    http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=250315

Modding is Addicting
    Quote Posted by Ranger72 View Post
    Does your truck have the 2 large cats and 2 pre cats? If so, just dump it, but make sure to actually put a dump on it. It is going to drone real bad though.
    would you dump after the pre cats or after the larger ones??

I removed an old exhaust system after the muffler rotted, but i did not have the new stuff ready to go on yet. I just unbolted it from the last cat and ran it like that for a month. It drones, but its really not loud. I like it better with the muffler.
    1992 Chevy S104X4

2002 4.0 w/ 700r4 tranny, manual valve-body, and 3800 stall converter

Built Ford Tough with Chevy stuff.

Bama Chips!!!!
    Underdog Performance

For Sale:
    Factory Aluminum Driveshaft
    Ranger factory floor center console
    For sale thread, lots of good stuff:
    http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=250315

The Real Splash rangersplash2.3's Avatar
    i removed the muffler from my 93 explorer and it was too annoying cuz it drones bad and its right under the cab. i bought a 6 foot piece of flex pipe and ran it over the axle. sounded better. i still vote for a flowmaster 40 dumped over the axle.
    93SPLASH:18x9 chrome bullitts,245\45\18nexen tires,hurst shifter,painted 4x4valance,fogs,pioneer DEH-9800BT,hard bed cover,flowmaster delta 40,01 cobra leather\seude buckets,C.A.I.,cone filter,vent visors,niteshaded tails, black projector lights,repainted,8000k HIDs,140mph speedo,OHC,tweeters, kicker1000.1 rl-i10 sub.
    future mods:roll pan(ready)20%tint,dream beams(ready) 8.8 axle,racer walsh cam, turbo,new windshield,2tone paint body mounts.
    84ranger: sold
    95Tbird 4.6 auto

if anyone has straights you should post pictures of it on this thread

I can tell you for a fact that it is against Florida State Statute. It basically says that any modification to the exhaust that makes it louder than stock is illegal. Getting rid of the cats touches both state and federal laws.

Of course, most cops won't mess with you about it. Only the hard core traffic guys would probably even know that law is on the books. Just look at how many ricers are running around with fart mufflers around here.

So..........yes it's illegal, it's quite possible that no one would ever say anything about it, but if you were to get a ticket you have no defense. You wouldn't get thrown in jail or anything, just a ticket. I don't know how much that ticket would be.
    Advice is often worth exactly what you paid for it.

Cardomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/519188

i had a straight pipe on my honda prelude and i did get pulled over quite a few trimes for it being too loud. and yes my neighbours hated my gutts. hahaha
    Originally Posted by RBlake
    Women are instantly better looking once they are tossing thier 'tang in your face.

'02 edge 3.0

im leaving the cats, but ditching the muffler and dumping it
    hopefully the cops wont get pissed, i mean if the ricers can zip around the school parking lot, then me and my friends should be able to roar right through them!

Modding is Addicting
    leave the muffler on and get a cut out, then you can change back and fourth when ever you like

Dakota Driver (Really!) HahnsB2's Avatar
    It's only illegal if a cop cares. That said, straight pipes sound like ass on almost everything, including V8s, no one wants to hear your crappy exhaust.
    88 Bronco II EB, 4.0L, M5OD, 4.56s, Aussie Locked 8.8 Aussie Locked D35 w/ e-clip eliminator, Manual 1354, 3" PA Body Lift, 34x10.5 LTBs, Warn Hubs, U-Joint Drive shaft, On-Board Air, Custom bumpers front/rear, Warn 6K, 2x100 Watt Lights, Full 2 1/2" Exhaust Flowmaster 40 series, Half doors, 4.0 Rad. Go locked or go home!
    Build Thread
    95 Dakota CC, 5.2, 5 Spd, 4x4, Remote Turbo, M1 Intake Manifold, Mopar PCM, HS 1.7 RRs, 50mm TB, 3.55s, 31s, Powertrax No-Slip Locker.

But you can call me Matt Splash's Avatar
    Around here "in the country" it's not as bad but if you are driving around the city, you will likely get a ticket for "improper equipment"

RPS Decals Click Here

Heavy as heaven, the devil on me, two tons too

99 ranger xlt stepside
    Quote Posted by mtm View Post
    Around here "in the country" it's not as bad but if you are driving around the city, you will likely get a ticket for "improper equipment"
    Git-Er-Done on that one bud.. im in Cache, OK and i live out in the backwoods with the dirt roads and we go muddin all the time. Duel Thrust tubes all the way. straight pipe it... itll be loud... plus the girls i know out here there "Country Girls" love when a guy in a loud truck flies by um... its worth it!!

Knowledge is Power
    I had a complete custom exhaust installed with parts I thought would be most beneficial to a free flowing exhaust, as well as sound aesthetically pleasing (to me) and remaining legal. Although I did lose bottom end torque. A universal catalytic converter with a new 02 sensor of course, with 2.5" piping to a 3.5" 1 1/2' long stainless steel tip ending at the rear. If I ever install a turbo, it will most likely be 3" mandrel bent stainless steel throughout, although with the added decibels I may consider a muffler, however I do adore my current "megaphone" effect caused by the increased pipe size at the end.
    1997 Ranger 2.3 manual
    Royal Purple synthetic throughout drivetrain
    K&N CAI

b&
    "Engine & Perfomance 3.0 v6"

Don't do it.
    -'94 4.0 4x4 Reg Cab Short Bed. Hopefully going soon.
    -'99 F-150 ext cab <33333

straight pipes

Where I live in Colorado there is no emissions test.My exhaust consists of a header to Y pipe to glass pack side pipes.Its not really loud and get lots of compliments on how it sounds!!!
    jims93

If you got a V6 the best thing to do is a dump, which consist of a small pipe bending in a 90 degrees down to the ground right after the exhaust. I did that, and it sound louder than any other V6 i've heard.
    2004 Ford Ranger XLT
    3.0L V6 SOHC
    Bridgestone Duelers A/T Revo
    Crager Rock Crawlers
    Flowmaster 50 Series w/ Dump

Coming Soon
    3" Lift Kit
    K&N Air Intake
    Smoked Tail Lights
    Smoked Head Lights

Quote Posted by agu_nob View Post
    If you got a V6 the best thing to do is a dump, which consist of a small pipe bending in a 90 degrees down to the ground right after the exhaust. I did that, and it sound louder than any other V6 i've heard.
    i did a dump once... but anyway, i have a dynomax on mine and it drones just a little bit at highway and interstate speeds so i don't know how you would be able to stand something like straight pipes everyday.
    2003 Mazda B4000 Dual Sport

spindle lifted ford in disguise

2003 Mazda B3000

RIP Jason
    Quote Posted by polski-13 View Post
    No time to stop, I have trucks to build.

Am I the only guy that likes the drone? especially after so many years of crappy regular 3.0 nothin'.

my mom has a '91 Toyota 4x4 5spd/ 3.0L P/U and it needed an exhaust ( had burnt out glasspack ). I convinced her a flowmaster would last longer than an OEM so that's what she got.. initally I just dumped it.. she hated that, and I did too. would rattle the cab to the point you couldn't think.. after routing it out the back it got much better

2007 F-150 XL RCLB
    4.6L/ 4x4
    No mods yet. XLT grille and some nerf bars planned

1998 Ford Ranger
    Red/grey 2 tone
    Extended Cab
    4.0L 4x4 automatic
    Factory Bucket seats
    All power options
    RIP

SOLD:1998 Ford Ranger. 2.5/5spd
    2001-2003 2WD Conversion

Sold:1992 Ford Ranger 4x4
    2.9/ 5spd
    3 color beater

1951 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe 4dr sedan
    1930's styled Hotrod build..Featuring 1994 Ranger Suspension
    1995 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 Extended cab V8 4x4 5spd- Gifted to a friend

S-10 Driver

Cool Ranger straight pipes

Quote Posted by cbh1292 View Post
    if anyone has straights you should post pictures of it on this thread
    I have a 93 ranger reg cab long box V6 4.0 L and i have straight pipes that come off after the cats into a y pipe that go into bent pipes and 3.5" crome tips. it took me about an hour and a half to put them on but it sounds great, ill upload some picks sometime if anyone wants to see them