Ford F150 - Mustang - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Thread: 2002 Ford Ranger Rear window leak

2002 Ford Ranger Driver garth44's Avatar

Exclamation 2002 Ford Ranger Rear window leak

I have a ford Ranger 2002 p/u with a slider window that leaks. Recently i took out the headliner and moldings to see where the leak was coming from, i then decided to take the window out and put a new seal around it using type 2 Silicone ( CLEAR ) waited 2 days before testing it again, still no success . I then went to insurance company to get a replacement window,again waited 2 days to test and still failure to be sealed alltho slider window doesn't leak but still get plenty of water coming from top of seal. any suggestions would be helpful. ty

PS I work for a touchless car wash

Are you 100% sure it's you rear window?

Many of us have had problems w/ the 3rd brake/cargo lens seal. There's a gap between the headliner and the rear window so you may only be thinking the window seal is the problem.

Tape off the top of the window seal on the outside and run it through the car wash. If the leak is still there you'll know it's the 3rd brake/cargo lens seal.
    Base model 02 Edge ext cab 3.0 auto 2wd.
    Added CC, Complete 01 Explorer RAP for PL & future memory seat etc, 97 Expo OHC w/ matching interior lighting, 04 ST Center Console, 00 Lincoln Autodim rearview mirror, 98 Taurus AutoLamp/Headlamp switch w/ 05 Sporttrac bezel, Lincoln Homelink module, Mark VIII Driver/Passenger Power Lumbar, 01 Explorer Reverse sensors, Taurus glove box lock, 04 Edge front lower valance, 06 side/tail lamps, etc.

02' FX4 Lake Erie Tested LoneWolf2k4's Avatar
    Mine is an 02 and its got the same leak. I took it to the dealer and had them replace the whole window and reseal it and it didn't help. I'm fairly certain its the 3rd brake light.
    Posted by TX Ranger
    I apologize for trying to talk with you, maybe I should have tried to communicate with pictures or smaller words.
    "Anyone can fire a bullet. Few can actually steer it."

2nd Highest Poster in IA Now534's Avatar
    put some silicon up on the third brake light area push it firmly into place and let the stuff harden up so that your leak free.

--1992 Ford Ranger Custom--
    Audio:
    Pioneer 3800 MP
    iPod Interfaced
    Infinity Reference 6022i up front
    6 x 9 in back juiced by my Profile Amp
    Exterior:
    Flowmaster 40 Cat Back
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 Rims (255/40/17 front 275/40/17 rear)

--2000 Ford Focus ZX3--
    FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake
    Lunchbox Delete
    Pioneer 3200UB
    2 Kenwood Typhoon 12"
    RF T1500.1BD
    1 run of 0awg
    5% Rear Tint 70% Front Tint

Buy Your Explorer OHC Temperature Senors Here

i delt with this alot when i worked for ccity... we did alot of custom instal for dsr an people would always come in wantin us to redo theres cause they tried to go trough the third brake light.. an as soon as that seal breaks... it leaks

Question 3rd Brake light

ok going to give it a try, suggestions on what to seal it with ?? also have a XM radio antenna going through the 3rd brake light.

Quote Posted by Now534
    put some silicon up on the third brake light area push it firmly into place and let the stuff harden up so that your leak free.

yea what he said. Just go to any auto parts/auto body store and ask, urethane will work to. Or, just shave the third brake light...solved my problem. I always had a small puddle behind inbetween my seats...
    02 3.0 5spd Edge. -AKA; lessons learned -daily toy
    01 XLT -Work in progress. AKA; take two. -low and slow toy.
    06 GSXR-600 -speed toy
    92' YJ 4" lift, aussie locker up front, ford 8.8 lsd in back, 4:88 gears rolling on 35s. -crawling and mudding toy
    95' Ford 'party bus' -party toy

Exclamation window leak

sry guys didn't work ......don't know what else to do

My 02 had the rear window leak. I have the slider. The dealer replaced the rear window. No more leak. The dealer thought it was the 3rd brake light also. They also found broken glass as if one of the panels had been broken and replaced. Take it to the dealer, it is worth it. Plus, if they do not get it right, they have too keep tring till it is fixed.
    David R..2008 Ranger XLT 4X4 2Dr, 4.0 Auto. Vista Blue. 3.73Limited Slip Rear End. Pioneer MP3 290W Sound Package. This is the first Ranger I have seen with a full consoel.
    Weather-Tech Vent Shades, Ford Bug Gaurd. Bed Rug,Truxedo.

S-10 Driver
    so the dealer will fix it with no charge?

just shave your third brake light

My Third Brake light leaked on my 97. I thought it was the window as well, but I figured out it was the light. I just went down to Kragen and bought some silicone and put that around there. It solved the problem.

3rd Brake Light

My 02 had a leak around the 3rd Brake light alos. I used the "urethane," if I got the right name (you know the ones used to glue in the winshield to the frame). You can get a roll of this fron any car window installation shops for about $8.00. Use this baby and NO more leaks !!

Cheers
    02 Ranger FX4 Offroad
    31x10.5x15"
    Instrument Cluster Swap coming soon.
    Not much more. Taking One Step at a time