Ford F150 - Mustang - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Thread: Install: 2 Single Din units into double Din stereo/scanner/CB project

S-10 Driver

Install: 2 Single Din units into double Din stereo/scanner/CB project

In case anybody is interested in doing the same thing, I can probably save you some research. I searched all over the net to figure this set-up out. I have absolutely no experience with electronics or stereo installs, but I was able to peice this together. Came out great for my 2007 Ranger XL and I'm sure it can be used for a CB or another type of transmission/reception radio system with single din stereo.

Parts list:

Sony CDX-GT410U (single din head-unit with CD and USB input)
    Radio Shack Pro-2046 (800mhz scanner about same thickness as single din unit)
    Scosche FD1330B double din mounting kit

Crutchfield wiring adaptor for Ford
    Access-A-Fuse 20amp fuse
    Para-Dynamics AM/FM/Scanner antenna Coupler (to use stock Ford antenna for both scanner and AM/FM radio)
    Gall's 5 watt external speaker (for scanner)

This was one Frankenstein of a project. Ordering the HU from Crutchfield was a bargain as it came with the Ford wiring harness adaptor, DIN tool, and a double din to single din dash kit (which I won't use now, but will save in case I sell the truck and want to take my scanner with me). Plus I got a coupon code via the internet for another $20 off the whole set-up at check-out. I checked everywhere and Ebay and still couldnt beat this Crutchfield deal with the free ship, etc.

First I soldered the Ford adapter to the stereo plug and heat-shrinked the connections.

I undid the bolts under the stock stereo, popped in the Din tools and removed the stocker. I ran the hardwire power and ground for the scanner through the dash and dropped it down into the fuse box on the passenger side floor.

I made a ground to the frame and replaced a 10A fuse for the cigarette lighter with a 10A Access-a-fuse. These are pretty cool, you can tap into the fuse panel for power without using a "tap" or jamming a wire in there. Its got a metal prong that comes out of the fuse to hook wires to. I placed the regular fuse and the AAF side by side to compare (Actually, I think I ended up using a 20A...):

Heres what it looks like in the panel with the power for the scanner:

I crimped the red power wire for the scanner onto the female lead, attached it to the access-a-fuse and POWER!

I went back to the opening, hooked up the scanner antenna coupler (so AM/FM and Scanner share the same stock antenna) and removed the dash panel with the stereo opening (grab the inside void where the stock stereo was and pull gently, it pops right out).

I ran the external speaker wire connection for the scanner up from the driver side and taped it in waiting for the install. I thought of mounting this little speaker below the little storage pocket by the shifter, or into the area above the shift boot into the plastic, but rather than start drilling in screws, I was able to wedge it very tightly with it's metal mount bracket into a crack running along the left side of the trans hump and the plastic housing for the cupholder. It's in there SOLID without any screws and my leg doesnt hit it.

Next I used the Scosche install kit to sandwich the CD player and the Scanner together as one unit. The Scosche kit is thick, while other kits use a flat peice of plastic. Now is a good time to measure the total width of the units and the kit before the next step:

Now the hard part. Because the unit is so thick, you have to trim all four sides of the plastic inside the opening of the dash. I tried to use a file, but broke down and got a Dremel like tool to grind it all off. In this pic I have the top section ground down.

The Scosche kit also needed to be trimmed/ground down around the raised outer edges in order to fit into the opening. This worked out good so it can be made as tight or loose as you want.

Then it was fit in:

And here we go. Connect the wires to the units, push them back into the dash, pop the dash back in, replace the two screws that held the stock unit in, and it fits tight!:

Ready to tailgate at NASCAR, check out what the fire dept and cops are doing around town, and get real-time traffic info from the highway patrol....
    2007 Ford Ranger XL / 4 cylinder/ 5 speed manual/Options: A/C!

nice idea! looks like a cop car with all that in the dash...
    I'm BACK!

5/8/2010...

clean install. now you just need to get a radio trim piece to go around it all.

Looks good. i used to have a scanner but got caught with it . its not legal to have a portable in NY state unless you are law enforcement or fire dep. i would have done something like that but i think it would have pissed me off when the cop ripped it out of the dash.
    '99 Ford Ranger.
    XLT Extended Cab.

4X4

4.0 Liter. 6 Cyl.

5 Spd Manual

S-10 Driver
    Thanks guys. They are legal here in CA, and Infineon Raceway (formerly Sears Point) is only about 20 minutes from San Francisco, so you can listen in to the races if you are anywhere close to the area.

The Scosche kit did come with a trim ring, I had to cut it in half and only use the right and left sides of the trim. I do have that on now, so it looks cleaner (just didn't get the shot in). My buddy works for a public works dept and he wants to do the same thing to his work truck, put in a CD player and mount his two way radio in the dash so it's closer to eye level. This sony deck also has the USB input which works great for putting music on a flash drive. Can't beat it for $120 for the deck....

excellent!

I've been silently wondering whether my trunktracker would fit in there along with a single DIN unit. I guess I should start shopping for a AM/FM/CD unit...

Can you post a pic of the final installation, with the trim piece installed, and recap all the parts/prices (for the install kit stuff, not the radios)?

S-10 Driver

Price List

Sony CDX-GT410U (unit, wiring harness adapter,etc $120 @ crutchfield)

Radio Shack Pro-2046 ($??? bought it years ago)

Scosche FD1330B double din mounting kit ($5.99 at buy.com)

Access-A-Fuse (mini-fuse 3 pack- $5.70 @ access-a-fuse.com)

Para-Dynamics AM/FM/Scanner antenna Coupler ($16.95 @scannermaster.com)

Gall's 5 watt external speaker (bought years ago but currently$9.99 at Galls.com)

Quote Posted by xXJ-Ranger-MXx
    Looks good. i used to have a scanner but got caught with it . its not legal to have a portable in NY state unless you are law enforcement or fire dep. i would have done something like that but i think it would have pissed me off when the cop ripped it out of the dash.

I was pretty certain store bought portable scanners up here were legal, they just have police frequencies blocked... either way I can talk to dispatch and not be questioned about mine

Woot Woot!!!

'96 Mazda B2300, 6" Susp. Lift, 31" SuperSwamper LTB's, 4.10's Locked, And a flatbelly.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

SSOffroad.com

a state of KONFUSION ghostranger04's Avatar
    nice install..

V8 What!
    GREAT install!

When I was a pilot and aviation line service tech,I was going to do something like that with my VHF radio.I bought a hand held instead.It could be used as a back up flight radio incase of a power outage.