Ford F150 - Mustang - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Thread: Brakes Slip When Stopping

Brakes Slip When Stopping

Hey guys! Haven't been on here in a while, but got a problem that I just can't seem to figure out...

The truck:
    2002 Ford Ranger FX4 5sp

The issue:
    When coming to a slow stop and applying the brakes (at about 5 mph), the brakes will suddenly let loose and I hear a rapid thumping sound coming from what seems to be the front left rotor. I replaced the rotors and pad (had a grooved rotor) and was hoping this would fix the issue. Got in the truck, drove down the street, no dice...

This thing is driving me crazy. I've heard a couple theories as to what it could be...

1. Warped rotor (Just replaced, still doing it)
    2. Bad caliper (seems possible if it's not closing properly??)
    3. Air in the lines (never had this happen to me before... not really sure what would happen...)
    4. ABS is acting up (no CEL)

Sooooo.... what do you guys think it could be? Anyone ever had this happen?

Searched the forums and found some similar issues, but nothing like this...

Thanks!

It sounds most like the ABS is kicking in. But I don't know what to tell you from there.
    Advice is often worth exactly what you paid for it.

Cardomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/519188

1993 Ford Ranger 3.0L 4X2 urhotmom's Avatar
    What kind of rotors did you put on your truck last??? where they generic??? or original motorcraft??? because i may know what is wrong.

did ya grease the calipers up?

01' Ford Ranger 2.5l
    CalVu's, Tonneau, Billet Grille, Roush SwayBars, 17x8 Torqlite's 235/55/17

Ok, I have just bled the brakes... same issue...

Then I decided to take the tire off and check the caliper. I noticed that one of the pistons wasnt coming out properly. I went and replaced it... same issue...

I'm pretty convinced that it is the ABS kicking in. A buddy of mine said the same sort of situation was happening to his Mercedes and he took it in to be serviced and they had to adjust something... he couldnt remember what though.

It seems as if the ABS is turning on right when I'm about to stop. It doesnt matter how fast I'm going before braking, but when I'm just about to stop (<5 mph) the left side caliper seems to let loose as if I were braking very hard. I still have no CEL or ABS light.

Has this situation ever happened to anyone else? Has anyone's ABS ever messed up? If so, what did you do to fix the issue?

Ok, after a little more research, I decided to pull the ABS fuse from under the hood... NO MORE ISSUE!!!

Seems like it is a faulty wheel speed sensor. Will replace next weekend and update then!

Thanks!

Pull the wheel sensor out of the back of the spindle (knuckle, whatever you want to call it) Wipe it down with some brake cleaner. Also, check the tone ring on the back of the rotor, make sure there is no junk in it that came off the sensor.
    1992 Chevy S104X4

2002 4.0 w/ 700r4 tranny, manual valve-body, and 3800 stall converter

Built Ford Tough with Chevy stuff.

Bama Chips!!!!
    Underdog Performance

For Sale:
    Factory Aluminum Driveshaft
    Ranger factory floor center console
    For sale thread, lots of good stuff:
    http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=250315

It's getting there... BLUE2000XLT's Avatar
    Quote Posted by _97_4X4_ View Post
    Ok, after a little more research, I decided to pull the ABS fuse from under the hood... NO MORE ISSUE!!!

Seems like it is a faulty wheel speed sensor. Will replace next weekend and update then!

Thanks!
    How'd you figure this out? and more information on this please? I just posted a thread just like this yesterday, my truck's abs engages when i'm trying to park or coming to a stop for no apparent reason (less than 5mph) and i've almost rear-ended people at a crawl because of it. I'm very interested in your solution!
    2000 Extended Cab 4.0 Liter 4x4 Stock Engine Pioneer DEH-P3000IB Headunit, Pheonix Gold 6.5" components powered by a Pioneer GM-x942,Colormatched Interior Trim, Leather Seat Covers, Clear Corners, Painted Center Caps

GOING FOR A NEW LOOK SOON!

He pulled the ABS fuse in the fuse box under the hood. (Driver's side by the firewall). Once pulled, the ABS is inoperable. I bet his problem actually lies with the sensor in the spindle.
    1992 Chevy S104X4

2002 4.0 w/ 700r4 tranny, manual valve-body, and 3800 stall converter

Built Ford Tough with Chevy stuff.

Bama Chips!!!!
    Underdog Performance

For Sale:
    Factory Aluminum Driveshaft
    Ranger factory floor center console
    For sale thread, lots of good stuff:
    http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=250315

Quote Posted by Ranger72 View Post
    He pulled the ABS fuse in the fuse box under the hood. (Driver's side by the firewall). Once pulled, the ABS is inoperable. I bet his problem actually lies with the sensor in the spindle.
    yeah, i just pulled the 30A fuse for the ABS from under the hood. My ABS light is on, but at least the issue isnt happening anymore.

BLUE2000XLT, my truck was having the EXACT same symptoms. This is a temp fix for now. From the research I did using the almighty power of google, I saw a short little blurb on some website that I cant even remember that mentioned the wheel speed sensor. When I searched specifically for that, I noticed a few other people having the same issue which is where I found out about removing the fuse. Try removing your fuse and see if the issue stops.

I'm going to try what Ranger72 has suggested either tonight or tomorrow and will let everyone know what happens!

Thanks guys!