Ford F150 - Mustang - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Thread: 01 Explorer to 02 Ranger V8 Swap Question

01 Explorer to 02 Ranger V8 Swap Question

I have an 01 Explorer v8 auto awd and want to swap the engine trans and tcase into my 02 fx4 ranger 4.0 5 speed 4x4. My question is, can I just take the dash and complete wiring harness out of the explorer and put everything in the ranger? I have both the complete explorer and complete ranger to work with. If you need more info, just let me know. Thanks.
    2000 Ford Ranger
    3.0 5 Speed 4x4
    Harvest Gold

absolutely not, lol. when i first did my swap this is what i wanted to try but it turns out that the rangers wiring changed in 01 and the explorers didn't so nothing will mate up. the good news is it can still be done! look in the v8 swap FAQ section. there is a post by me about a 2001 5.0 swap wiring guide. this will tell you everything you need to know to get yours swapped over. the only thing that isn't covered is what you will do with your 4wd electronics because the explorer is awd. hope this helps,
    ~Nat
    2001 2wd edge 3.0l with....
    -2001 explorer 5.0L engine
    -Mac high flow intake and Torque monster headers & high flow cats
    -converted from 2wd to 4wd with f150 selectable transfer case
    -fx4 31 spline 8.8 with torsen diff and explorer rear disks
    -31x10.5R15 BFG allterrains on fx4 level 2 alcoas
    -'04 ebony leather sport bucket seats and center console with built in 6.5" sub
    -explorer overhead console and mustang dome light
    -explorer EATC

Purchase an EVTM for each vehicle (try eBay) and you will learn any wiring differences.
    97 Supercab 5.0 H.O. EFI, Tri-Y headers, T-5
    DJM beams, 1 coil cut. DJM flip, flipped hangers. SD trans-member. Total drop 5/8
    Mustang valance, APC Roll Pan, Clear corners, Cal-Vu mirrors, Shaved badges.
    18X9/18X10 Bullitt wheels (275/40, 295/35)

'97 Stang GT.
    '01 Supercab 2/4 drop
    Les Pauls, Marshall
    www.shamelessmusic.com

My 5.0 build
    TOTM

Put the ranger cab on the explorer frame.

Quote Posted by 400sxman View Post
    absolutely not, lol. when i first did my swap this is what i wanted to try but it turns out that the rangers wiring changed in 01 and the explorers didn't so nothing will mate up. the good news is it can still be done! look in the v8 swap FAQ section. there is a post by me about a 2001 5.0 swap wiring guide. this will tell you everything you need to know to get yours swapped over. the only thing that isn't covered is what you will do with your 4wd electronics because the explorer is awd. hope this helps,
    ~Nat
    Alright, its my buddy thats doing the swap, he doesn't have the net tho. I printed your wiring guide out. His truck currently has a manual trans and manual transfer case, fx4. I'm guessin the AWD case will work but the truck will be AWD, which isn't preferable, but it'll work until he can find an exped. or f150 case? And what shafts will he have to use? I'm guessing the front shaft that is in the ranger will work because the ranger and ex both have the same front shaft, but what about the rear? I think I read something about using the end of the ex shaft on the end of the ranger shaft and it working? Thanks.
    2000 Ford Ranger
    3.0 5 Speed 4x4
    Harvest Gold