Ford F150 - Mustang - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Thread: Should I lift my Ranger?

S-10 Driver

Should I lift my Ranger?

Hi, I have an '07 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport and am looking to lift it and put bigger tires and rims on it. I would like to know what kind of lift i should get, a body or suspension, I want the lift more for the look more than anything so I probably looking for a body lift, about 3-4 inches. I have heard that doing a body lift will make the frame visible is that right? If so what can I do about that if anything? Also what size tire would be the best for what I have stated above? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :P

Well if you want form over function, then a body lift is just the thing for you. You can go up to 3" with a body lift. Performance Accessories makes the best kit since it is complete with everything you need. You should be able to pick one up from summit.

As far as the frame showing, there's nothing really you can do about that. My advice is to keep it undercoated so you don't notice it as much, plus it keeps it from rusting. You could also install step bars to attempt to conceal it. Although there will be a noticeable gap, mainly between the bed and the frame when looking through the wheel wells. There is no store bought fix for that, but many have used anything from rubber floor mats screwed into place, to plastic garden edging. Mind you, when you do the lift you will also need to lift the bumpers, performance accessories comes with the brackets to do so, so that isn't a problem. Your exhaust will also hang more noticeably low. When complete, you should be able to use a maximum size of 33" tire without rubbing.

But before deciding which one you need to properly compare both the pros and cons between to two before making the choice. For instance, with a suspension lift you get better handling on rougher terrain, and will be much more durable. But it costs a lot more, and take make the vehicle not handle as well on the street depending on which lift you buy and how high you lift it. While body lifts are much cheaper they also have quite a few downfalls. They do not add to off-road performance and any frame mounted accessories will have to be modified to properly a line with the bottom of the body. Things such as brush guards, roll bars, rock sliders, custom bumpers, are just some of the things that will no longer work without modification.

If you have the money, go with the suspension lift. But if you want the cheaper alternative go with the body lift. I am not sure who makes a suspension lift kit for your truck atm, but I am sure someone else will chime in soon.

Anime

1994 Ranger 4.0 Blue 4x4 Manual
    Modifications: Pace setter headers|Alpine Headunit|Four Corner Rs|31x10.5 ATs|Eagle Alloys|2" suspension|Smoked tails|clear fronts|clear corners|3" body lift|Signal Mirrors|Dual Whips|Cobra CB|XLT Valence|Smooth Bumper|Custom Exhaust|4" Fogs|Billet Grill|E-Fan|D/S Rotors|
    Next: Restoration|V8|SAS|

Want more power from that 4.0: Click Here

S-10 Driver
    Thank you for the info! I have been looking for some time now for a suspension lift for the 07 ranger but have found nothing so hopefully one will be available soon, but I am in no big rush.

http://www.superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=K358&V=247

Looks as though superlift has a system for the 2000-09 trucks. But it is only 3-4".

The problem is unlike the old Rangers where we have coil springs, your Ranger uses torsion bars. They have a contact number, so I would call it to be sure it would fit your truck specifically. Hope this helps!

Anime

Modifications: Pace setter headers|Alpine Headunit|Four Corner Rs|31x10.5 ATs|Eagle Alloys|2" suspension|Smoked tails|clear fronts|clear corners|3" body lift|Signal Mirrors|Dual Whips|Cobra CB|XLT Valence|Smooth Bumper|Custom Exhaust|4" Fogs|Billet Grill|E-Fan|D/S Rotors|

Your rug was in the car? SteelDirigible's Avatar
    superlift is the only one for our rangers. that or the dixons bros 4wd long travel kit. Summit actually sells the superlift, it is like $1700. Body lifts do sound like what you want for price and form, BUT I would never get a body lift, here's why, you'll just have the issues like frame gap (which can be covered) your engine sits lower, stuff is offset, your hitch will be lower than the body... I just don't like them. too much gets how it shouldn't be. plus you can tell when a truck has a body lift, and personally when i see one, all i think about is how i know they really cheaped out.

The thing is though, it's your truck, and if it looks good to you then go for it. But you won't be disappointed with the suspension lift.

One thing, with the suspension lift, you will need to replace the factory front drive shaft after like 20k miles of it being lifted. thats $400 over the $1700 for the kit, in addition to any labor if you pay to have it done. But that is why I am waiting rather than BL it now.
    2006 4.0L 4x4
    BUILD THREAD

I have some mods.

Join the KY Rangers Google Group!

Hey Steel, isn't the 07+ same setup as the 98+? If so, the 4x4 should be able to use edge spindles right?
    De-Ranged It started as a bone stock 94 Ranger....

93 Ranger 2wdGone but not forgotten

SGT Ex 91 Explorer Mawl Crawler

Depression is mearly anger without the enthusiasm

Yeah I think so, the manual for the lift actually says 98-09, even though the site says 2000-09, so they must be the same.
    2006 4.0L 4x4
    BUILD THREAD

I have some mods.

Thats what i thought. Let me see if I can find something. I'll get back to you guys later on today after i do some searching

well i have done some sifting through 4 different ranger sites, and they all say the same thing, Superlift is the only company who makes a kit for the 98+ 4x4. There are plenty of kits out there for the 2wds, and lift spindles will not work with a 4x4. Sorry buddy.

You could probably go through the www looking for a used one, they usually run between 600 and a grand.

To the OP, Is your truck a manual or manual transfer case?

oh, and i wouldn't hold my breath on another company making a kit. There were only 3 available that i could find, and both the other 2 where discontinued due to being unsafe.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLF-K358/
    Summit says it's for 2000-05 but Superlift says it is good up to 09 on their website (same part number)

It's a lot more than the body lift but it would be better. The only reason you would get the body lift is to save money and not improve any offroad work. Which for some people is the way to go.
    2006 4.0L 4x4
    BUILD THREAD

I have some mods.

Quote Posted by Josh40601 View Post
    well i have done some sifting through 4 different ranger sites, and they all say the same thing, Superlift is the only company who makes a kit for the 98+ 4x4. There are plenty of kits out there for the 2wds, and lift spindles will not work with a 4x4. Sorry buddy.
    That's because, if I remember correctly, for 98+ 4x4s it is all torsion bar suspension. Where as the 2wd was still coils. Torsion bars are tricky, there's not really a way to lift a torsion bar suspension other than using larger spindles. Which in itself is unsafe if not done carefully with a lot of testing of the design.

As you can see, because of the design of the suspension, the only easy way to gain lift is to increase the size of the spindle. Which in itself is a restriction, because you can only go so high before things become unsafe. Changing the spindle changes the entire geometry of the front suspension. Once you get to a certain size things begin to bind and break apart. The other companies tried to gain to much lift this way, and in turn created an unsafe product. Unfortunately if you want more lift, it would require completely changing the entire front suspension system. Which is why most people who want big lift on the newer trucks, go for the SAS.

Anime

Quote Posted by will721 View Post
    That's because, if I remember correctly, for 98+ 4x4s it is all torsion bar suspension. Where as the 2wd was still coils. Torsion bars are tricky, there's not really a way to lift a torsion bar suspension other than using larger spindles. Which in itself is unsafe if not done carefully with a lot of testing of the design.
    The Edge 2wd is a torsion bar setup too.

seems like a lot for so little. just to get 6" would require a 3" suspension, and a 3" BL that would be about $2k done right.. Most trucks other than Rangers, can get 6" for about $1,200

2007 F-150 XL RCLB
    4.6L/ 4x4
    No mods yet. XLT grille and some nerf bars planned

1998 Ford Ranger
    Red/grey 2 tone
    Extended Cab
    4.0L 4x4 automatic
    Factory Bucket seats
    All power options
    RIP

SOLD:1998 Ford Ranger. 2.5/5spd
    2001-2003 2WD Conversion