Chevy Trucks - GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Unhappy chevy small block in ranger

OK guys just to clear something up.......... this is not for me and i would never consider dropping a chevy engine in my ranger.

BUT for the sake of my friend lets not make this a flame thread. He would like to know if any one has info about putting a small block chevy in a ranger. Any general information will be fine for right now as i dont know the year of his vehicle (he lives out of state). Thanks for any help guys. I will update you on the year of his truck as soon as i find out.
    2000 Ford Ranger XLT (I know... doesn't fit)
    Mods: Ungo Alarm System, Flowmaster 40 Series Dumped, Smittybuilt Grill Guard, Roll Bar, Hella Flood Lights (On Roll Bar), Kurtz Kustomz Induction Kit, K&N Air Filter, Ford Bedliner, Alta Mere Window Tint, Steel Horse Black Step Bars, Rockford Fosgate 8" Performance Sub, Pioneer 200 Watt Amp, Vent Visors, APC White Face Gauges, Fabtech 5.5" 2wd Lift, American Racing 15x8 Chrome Mod Rims, 33x12.50r15 BFG All Terrain K/O, 4.56 Gears, Clear Corner Lenses, Rock Crawling Lights (Undercarriage), 2001 Ranger Edge Mirrors, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, Gap Guards, 4 Wheel Parts Performance Sticker.

What ever spends your wheels. I have own Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. I like the Fords best because they are the easiest to work on for me and I have had the best results with a Ford.

I am sure someone has put the 350 in Ranger. Dare to be different that is what customization is all about.
    Niestrath
    93 Ranger 5.0 with
    GT-40X Aluminum heads, B-303 cam with 1.7 rockers, Extruded Cobra upper and lower matched to heads, Kaufmann 1 5/8 long tube headers, Dr Gas X-Pipe 3" in 2.5" out, 70mm MAF, 70MM throttle body, 24# injectors, light weight fly wheel and aluminum drive shaft with Tremec 3550 5-speed, S&W double adjustable ladder/link and coil-over suspension, shorten 8.8 with 4.10 gears, Eaton posi, Mark Williams housing ends and 31 spline axles.

Waldorf, MD

Well, the way I once put a 327 into a Dodge D-50 was:

Dangle the engine and tranny in the bay
    Run a bolt through a piece of tubing in each motor mount
    Level the motor
    Cut two straight pieces(for each side) of thick flat stock metal
    Set the metal pieces against the tubing and triangulate to the frame (on each side)
    Weld the flat stock to the frame and to the tubing
    Pull bolts out of motor mounts, pull motor out
    Weld gussets on each side of both mounts
    Reinstall motor, drill new holes or weld new plate onto tranny crossmember for tranny mounting

Now the one other thing I did, which I would NOT reccomend, is that I went to the junkyard with a tape measure, found a really long driveshaft just about the right length from something like a Pontiac Grand Prix, made sure the front yoke fit my tranny, and went to Napa and bought U-joints with different size cups on the opposing sides for the rear, and bolted the driveshaft in I did get good at the driveshaft procedure do to the driveshafts tendancy to twist like pretzels.

Of course I was 18 years old and got the whole thing in and running for under $500.00!

Later - Karl.
    2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab, (work truck)
    2002 Limited V8 Explorer
    95/98/01? 95 Extra cab on a 98 frame with a 01 Edge front.
    V8 installation in progress, AOD-E, Explorer 8.8 w/trac-loc, 4:10s, and 31 spline axles with disc brakes. Eddie Bauer Leather full power bucket seats, etc, etc........ finally brought the motor home, sitting in the bay waiting for me to wire it!

It can be done, there's a guy running around here with a 350 in a ranger. He put a bowtie instead of a Ford emblem on the front. Don't know much about it, haven't really seen it upclose.
    93 Splash 5.0
    04 F-150 SuperCrew

It wasn't me officer....

small block 400....

ok as before lets not get to flaming here. I have tossed the idea of the 350 around. I have seen tons of effies running bowtie guts but never the newer ones???? I was asked the other day by a colluege(sp?) why not a SMB400 my question will it fit?

Reason being is because you can dump less money into a 350 or SMB4 and get same results as $$$$$302$$$

JUst a question
    00 Maroon SLT Silverado Extended Cab
    Alpine 7875, Polk 6 1/2Momos, GXR46s, Alpine 1241Ds (2), MTX 6500D (2), MTX 6304, Viper 880 w/remote start, Gibson w/side dump duals, 4/6 Drop, Shaved all badgging, Nothing else for bragging rights, YET.

why bother with a dinky 400 chevy, WHEN YOU CAN BOLT IN A 351 CLEVELAND IN PLACE OF THE 302 AND RUN RINGS AROUND THE chevy

true a chevy costs less to build but it will probably cost the same to retrifit to a newer ranger I dont believe any one makes a mount kit to bolt in so you have to weld in one yourself (big hassle not worth the effort you can build a stout ford small block for around 1500 - 2000 nothing spectacular but still alot of power more than you will ever need in a ranger.
    another thing to think about is tranny and drive shaft you also have to match those to ford
    dimension wise I think you would have a problem with putting andy tpe of header in without alot of custom work.
    to save alot of headaches to your fiend try to convince him to run a ford block it will save him alot of pain.

Originally posted by RANGERDAN
    true a chevy costs less to build but it will probably cost the same to retrifit to a newer ranger I dont believe any one makes a mount kit to bolt in so you have to weld in one yourself (big hassle not worth the effort you can build a stout ford small block for around 1500 - 2000 nothing spectacular but still alot of power more than you will ever need in a ranger.
    another thing to think about is tranny and drive shaft you also have to match those to ford
    dimension wise I think you would have a problem with putting andy tpe of header in without alot of custom work.
    to save alot of headaches to your fiend try to convince him to run a ford block it will save him alot of pain.
    Actually when one compares power to dollar you quickly realize that building a chev engine is not any cheaper than building a Ford.And BTW a 350 in aRanger would be as hard or rather harder to install than even 351W.The poor s-10 guys have to chop and cut darn near everything just to fit it in.The 350 is dimensionally larger(wider in spots) than even the 351W.Not to mention heavy.The 302/5.0 slides in there like it was meant to be.I couldn't believe how much room was actually left when I did my first v8 swap.
    1999 Ranger xlt 4x4
    OHV4.0L/P+P 4.0 performance heads/ported lower intake/JBA CAT 4-ward system/3in in/out Magnaflow 4" round muffler #14419/5-speed auto w/B&M shift kit,Modine radiator,3.73Ls,63mmTB,Granatelli 70mm MAF LSJ MAF Adapter w/honda cone filter/custom bracket/splash guard/Lowe's 3in. pvc pipe intake-Apten Chip
    "DON'T JUST SING IT,BRING IT"
    Project "Strange Brew " started-Twin-Turbo 4.0l-'83 2wdReg cab Short bed Ranger-T-5/t-10/A4LD/c-4(haven't decided )

true ford put out more power per cube than a chevy. but things are changing in the full size realm

NINJA
    Originally posted by baddad457
    why bother with a dinky 400 chevy, WHEN YOU CAN BOLT IN A 351 CLEVELAND IN PLACE OF THE 302 AND RUN RINGS AROUND THE chevy
    A 351W maybe....Ford stopped cranking out 351C's in 71, IIRC.....

NINJA
    Originally posted by Rutt

Actually when one compares power to dollar you quickly realize that building a chev engine is not any cheaper than building a Ford.And BTW a 350 in aRanger would be as hard or rather harder to install than even 351W.The poor s-10 guys have to chop and cut darn near everything just to fit it in.The 350 is dimensionally larger(wider in spots) than even the 351W.Not to mention heavy.The 302/5.0 slides in there like it was meant to be.I couldn't believe how much room was actually left when I did my first v8 swap.

Not that I am condoning cross-breeding, but the 4.3 to 350 swap in an s-truck is a breeze. The 350 is wide, yes, but the 4.3L is just as wide in the same spots once you consider that the 4.3L is the 350 w/out the front 2 holes....Anyway, I have never heard of butchering an s-10 to fit a SBC...

But after all the adapters are figured in that could have went to building up a 302/351, you're back at square root one.

Originally posted by AlfredB18

Not that I am condoning cross-breeding, but the 4.3 to 350 swap in an s-truck is a breeze. The 350 is wide, yes, but the 4.3L is just as wide in the same spots once you consider that the 4.3L is the 350 w/out the front 2 holes....Anyway, I have never heard of butchering an s-10 to fit a SBC...

But after all the adapters are figured in that could have went to building up a 302/351, you're back at square root one.
    I agree it's a breeze.I was only recalling what I remember from trying to sqeeze a 350 in my friends '82? s-10.I can't remember the last time I banged up my knuckles so much.The only thing necessary to remove is the inner fenders and whole lot of swearing.
    1999 Ranger xlt 4x4
    OHV4.0L/P+P 4.0 performance heads/ported lower intake/JBA CAT 4-ward system/3in in/out Magnaflow 4" round muffler #14419/5-speed auto w/B&M shift kit,Modine radiator,3.73Ls,63mmTB,Granatelli 70mm MAF LSJ MAF Adapter w/honda cone filter/custom bracket/splash guard/Lowe's 3in. pvc pipe intake-Apten Chip
    "DON'T JUST SING IT,BRING IT"
    Project "Strange Brew " started-Twin-Turbo 4.0l-'83 2wdReg cab Short bed Ranger-T-5/t-10/A4LD/c-4(haven't decided )

AlfredB18--------- you need to go back and study your history like Rutt , the 351C was produced from Late 1970 to sometime in 1974 and they're not that hard to find and you can STILL build a 351C for less money that will STILL run rings around a Chevy small block. Why do you think NASCAR makes the Fords run restrictor rings under the carbs of the Fords? It's to SLOW them down so the Chevy's can keep up!